Beta tank size

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fishies4Ever

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a beta in a month or two after some research. I was wondering what the tank size should be. I was thinking a 5 gallon at bare minimum, he would be the only fish in the tank. I just went to pet smart to look around and maybe buy some more plants for my tank. I changed my mind. The beta fish were in cups like usual but the water was white and cloudy, it made me soooo mad. Some of the fish looked like they were dying and had fin rot. I decided I am no longer supporting those big box stores, but the betas there were beautiful. Which made me think I should get one eventually just not from them. Anyway what tank size would be best for just one beta, and what else should I know before I get one? I have had two in my life both named Oscar when I was little and we kept them in bowls with no filter or heater which I now know isn’t good.

I have a happy healthy betta in a 5 g cycled tank with a mystery snail and live plants. Bettas are carnivores and have very small stomachs the size of their eye. Be careful not to over feed. Bettas prefer soft water. I have a filter and a heater. Water temperature should be around 80 F +/- 3 degrees. I perform weekly 30% water exchanges.

Attachments

• CD771D41-B74C-4809-9EC9-51569BF71153.jpeg
    CD771D41-B74C-4809-9EC9-51569BF71153.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 18
I have one single female Betta in a 3 gallon filtered and heated tank, while in my opinion, is the bare minimum. I also have a male Betta in a planted 5 gallon tank with 2 ghost shrimp and 6 neons, and they are super happy and will play with each other. So, 3 gallon bare minimum but they will enjoy a 5 gallon more. (In my opinion)
Ok thank you for the advice I think I will go with the 5 gallon and do some shrimp. Does the beta ever try and eat the shrimp because I have herd that happening before.

Ok thank you for the advice I think I will go with the 5 gallon and do some shrimp. Does the beta ever try and eat the shrimp because I have herd that happening before.
My betta ate three cherry shrimp.

Most reactions

Back