Beta fish stressed out?

Beta316

Reaction score
I was wondering if a fast moving current from the filter can stress out a fish. I've had mine for a few months now and he seems to be ok with the current. I've "rigged" the filter so the water doesn't come out as fast and it has helped some. It seems like he's always fighting the current but I can't really tell. And now he has more red lines to him (see pics) then he has ever had before(lines = stress right?). Could it be stress or just him getting more colorful? I turn off the light at night sometimes because I heard they feel more relaxed and it helps against stress. Does my fish look in good health?

He likes to move around and these were the least blurry pics I could get. All pics are of his left side. His right side has more red to him but I couldn't get a good pic.

100_0290.jpg

100_0291.jpg

100_0292.jpg

100_0296.jpg

Hi Beta,

Angelfire doesn't host pics. Try www.photobucket.com

And yes, a strong current can stress a betta out. I have an airstone in my 2.5 gal. One of my bettas loves it, the other seems to tire out very quickly. I have trimmed it down to satisfy them both.

What size tank do you have and what are his tank mates?

Your betta doesn't looked stressed out to me. :dunno:

If you've had him for a few months and you even rigged the output of the filter, then I think he will be fine. Just keep an eye out for any problems. Also, it's good to turn the lights off at night and not keep them on 24/7.

is he being sucked into the intake or being pushed by the out-take? you can put a sponge or some panty hose over the intake if thats it. or get a corner or sponge filter

he doesn't seems to be sucked in but he always swims counter clockwise and the current is being pused clock wise. And when hes close to the filter side of the tank and tries to turn around he struggles a little more than usual but thats it. I would think he would want to swim with the current but he doesn't do that. Also he seems to always want to stay close to the front of the tank close to the glass. He doesn't really venture off to much except at night he likes to spend the night next to the heater, which I don't understand because the water temp is 81 as is. As soon as the light (indicates the heat is on) he rushes over there and floats right next to it until it shuts off again.

My tank size is 5 gal with no other mates, just him for now.

tkae the filter out. is it one of those premade set-ups? because i have heard of one 5g setup (it may be eclipse-im not sure) that is actually made for bettas but the filter is too strong. your betta will be fine without the filter as long as you change the water often. or you could get a corner filter like those green penn plax ones or a smallworld one. those are the kinds of filters usually used in breeding tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back