Best Thermometer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
My thermometers all read a few degrees different. Anyone have a recommendation for a good thermometer that usn’t too costly costly?

Floating glass thermometers that sit in the tank.

When you buy a thermometer, take a number of them off the shelf and check the temperatures on them all. They should all show the same temperature. If one or two have a different temp to the others, then do not get the ones with the different temp.

During manufacturing you get some thermometers that aren't made right and these usually give a different reading to others. Checking/ comparing them to each other at the shop is a good way to find ones that should be accurate because they have the same reading.

You can also hold them in your hand for a minute and make sure the temperature increases due to your body heat. If a thermometer does not change when held for a short time it is probably faulty.

There will be some natural variation in the thermometers when they are produced, if you are unsure if yours is reading OK the test it against a kitchen thermometer (these are usually produced to a higher standard as food temperatures are important)
Eg an aquarium one will be accurate to 0.5 degrees and a kitchen one should be accurate to 0.1deg

Or you can test it against a thermometer used on humans.

I have found digital ones to be best.

I just use the relatively inexpensive digital thermometers you would find, for example, in the housewares/kitchen section of wally world. I find that they're all reasonably accurate within a degree and if inaccurate, they are consistently inaccurate....meaning the readout is consistent, even if off a degree. A degree of inaccuracy means very little in a fish tank as temperature swings in nature would be much, much greater. On my 60g and the 110g stock tank, I'm using the Finnex titanium heaters w/ external controller, so I merely rely on the digital temperature readout (both working excellent).

All said and done, if/when you have a quality heater(s) OR heat the room appropriately, any thermometer (and/or thermometer accuracy) becomes less significant.

I have a couple of those Marina floating/suction cup thermometers in two of my Betta tanks. I like them stuck to the glass using the suction cup. They are small but they have a green "safe zone" indicator on them which is easy to see. My third Betta tank has a suction cup one made by another generic brand. It is larger, easy to read, very cheap but accurate.

I just use the relatively inexpensive digital thermometers you would find, for example, in the housewares/kitchen section of wally world. I find that they're all reasonably accurate within a degree and if inaccurate, they are consistently inaccurate....meaning the readout is consistent, even if off a degree. A degree of inaccuracy means very little in a fish tank as temperature swings in nature would be much, much greater. On my 60g and the 110g stock tank, I'm using the Finnex titanium heaters w/ external controller, so I merely rely on the digital temperature readout (both working excellent).

All said and done, if/when you have a quality heater(s) OR heat the room appropriately, any thermometer (and/or thermometer accuracy) becomes less significant.
I have 7 tanks and although I agree that being off a degree or 2 isn’t significant, it bothers me when one thermometer reads at 80F in my betta tanks and another reads 82F. Makes me wonder which is correct.

Our main aquarium uses a digital thermometer, but the other tanks use glass internal thermometers. In our view those stick on strips are a waste of time, difficult to determine the stated values and are not accurate.

all digital ph readers have temperature readings in them sooo it may be more cheaply cheaply to get a two in one where you can read both. I had a big system or constant monitor it was a piece of garbage so I have no suggestions but I,m sure there is a simple temp ph out there.... Good luck.

all digital ph readers have temperature readings in them sooo it may be more cheaply cheaply to get a two in one where you can read both

Sorry but I disagree, Unless you are going to have the PH meter in the tank all the time its best to get separate items.

Sorry but I disagree, Unless you are going to have the PH meter in the tank all the time its best to get separate items.

unless you can find a ph meter that will display the temp

don't you think it,s annoying that cheap ph pens actually compensate temperature but don't display it , or is it that you want the temperature level monitored all the time , because I really disagree and disagree with both why wouldn't you want a temp ph all the time cheap and why wouldn't you want a temp ph checker...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back