Best sponge for 10 gallon with chemical filtration? QUIET Air pump?

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
It never used to bother my betta having a HOB filter but lately he won't go on that side of the tank. He's healthy.... eating fine... but if I can find a good sponge filter that has chemical filtration for a 10 gallon tank... as well as a QUIET air pump... I'd really like to switch him over to a sponge so he's got his whole tank to swim in again. I know it will take a while to colonize the new filter... I'd use the old one for my new shrimp tank I hope to start next month. It would give it plenty of time to seed, I'd think! But SOUND is a major issue. This goes in my bedroom... I have very sensitive ears and get migraines. I have yet to find a quiet air pump that would be strong enough for a 10-gallon sponge filter and yet QUIET! The vibrations are just... horrible, in my experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm on a budget (on disability) so cost is a bit of a factor. Thanks!

I personally prefer sponge filters with bettas. I've heard horror stories about betta tails getting caught in HOBs. And I think the current is more desirable too.
Most sponge filters should do fine, especially as it is just a betta in 10 gallon, like you said. As far as air pumps go, I've tried out a few lately, and found that ones with longer "legs" tend to be better at silencing the vibrations. So the one I've liked best so far is Tetra's Whisper air pump. But there's honestly so many options these days, you could probably go with about any of them. I'm no pro, just sharing my own experiences.

I personally prefer sponge filters with bettas. I've heard horror stories about betta tails getting caught in HOBs. And I think the current is more desirable too.
Most sponge filters should do fine, especially as it is just a betta in 10 gallon, like you said. As far as air pumps go, I've tried out a few lately, and found that ones with longer "legs" tend to be better at silencing the vibrations. So the one I've liked best so far is Tetra's Whisper air pump. But there's honestly so many options these days, you could probably go with about any of them. I'm no pro, just sharing my own experiences.
I have a good pre-filter on the intake valve so no problem with the fins... when he was just a little guy he was struggling a little with the intake so I immediately got a fine sponge for the intake. That took care of that problem immediately. He always used to swim all over his tank... Always with the same HOB. I like the filtration and the ability for chemical filtration if things get a little smelly. (I used to throw out the carbon and use cotton batting to catch the finer particles... the HOB has sponge, came with carbon, then has a bag of bio-stones on top but recently had a smell to the tank... still don't know why.. and switched to carbon. I like that possibility)

I appreciate the idea for the air pumps with longer legs, especially the exact type you use.

It never used to bother my betta having a HOB filter but lately he won't go on that side of the tank. He's healthy.... eating fine... but if I can find a good sponge filter that has chemical filtration for a 10 gallon tank... as well as a QUIET air pump... I'd really like to switch him over to a sponge so he's got his whole tank to swim in again. I know it will take a while to colonize the new filter... I'd use the old one for my new shrimp tank I hope to start next month. It would give it plenty of time to seed, I'd think! But SOUND is a major issue. This goes in my bedroom... I have very sensitive ears and get migraines. I have yet to find a quiet air pump that would be strong enough for a 10-gallon sponge filter and yet QUIET! The vibrations are just... horrible, in my experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm on a budget (on disability) so cost is a bit of a factor. Thanks!
I'm curious about something. Why do you need a sponge filter with chemical filtration?

I'm curious about something. Why do you need a sponge filter with chemical filtration?
I had a sudden case where the aquarium started to smell. I never used to use chemical. I took out the carbon pouch that came with the HOB and used batting. But... all of a sudden... it smelled. Not as bad as my shrimp tank did way-back-when... but enough that it was bothering me just to walk past the tank. Decided to try adding a carbon pouch and it's been perfect ever since. All my water parameters were perfect. No ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates 10 ppm maybe at most? I DID have a brown algae bloom when each tank suddenly started smelling really strongly. I've had a bronchial illness almost 6 weeks now... we cannot figure out what the heck is causing it... but I'm having difficulty breathing (and have asthma anyway) and coughing... I don't need any extra smells or whatevers making things worse. I'm supposed to have surgery in a month... I'm trying so hard to get healthy... and then stay healthy. I don't want to start coughing again after the abdominal surgery! Sorry about the long answer!

I had a sudden case where the aquarium started to smell. I never used to use chemical. I took out the carbon pouch that came with the HOB and used batting. But... all of a sudden... it smelled. Not as bad as my shrimp tank did way-back-when... but enough that it was bothering me just to walk past the tank. Decided to try adding a carbon pouch and it's been perfect ever since. All my water parameters were perfect. No ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates 10 ppm maybe at most? I DID have a brown algae bloom when each tank suddenly started smelling really strongly. I've had a bronchial illness almost 6 weeks now... we cannot figure out what the heck is causing it... but I'm having difficulty breathing (and have asthma anyway) and coughing... I don't need any extra smells or whatevers making things worse. I'm supposed to have surgery in a month... I'm trying so hard to get healthy... and then stay healthy. I don't want to start coughing again after the abdominal surgery! Sorry about the long answer!
No worries about the length. Unfortunately, I don't think that there are any sponge filters with chemical filtration. It's possible I guess. I've seen some with compartments to add bio filtration.
I don't believe in chemical filtration myself. I don't think it does anything that frequent and substantial water changes don't do.

No worries about the length. Unfortunately, I don't think that there are any sponge filters with chemical filtration. It's possible I guess. I've seen some with compartments to add bio filtration.
I don't believe in chemical filtration myself. I don't think it does anything that frequent and substantial water changes don't do.
I've seen one or two on Amazon. And I was doing large weekly water changes (35-40%) on his tank and it wasn't helping. I cleaned all the decor (not the gravel of course) with vinegar. Twice actually. Once when I first noticed the brown algae and again a few weeks later when the smell got bad. Everything was rinsed super well with ro water after. The smell just wouldn't go away. I didn't really want to use carbon because it removes tannins. I don't want a dark water tank but was trying to achieve an optimal pH.

Don't forget that carbon gets full and stops working so it will need to be replaced regularly.

There are sponge filters which can be used with carbon, I had one when I had a betta. The one I had is probably not available in the US, but look for this type

It has a hollow core which the manual says can be filled with carbon

I have 2 air pumps that are really quiet. One is this nicrew, it cannot be heard but the volume of air it pushes is limited, good for an air stone in a small tank, not sure about a filter.

And this, that is reasonably quiet and can be heard but I put it in a box with foam around it and it's now not audible. I plan to drive 3 filters in 3 10 gallons with this pump.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I love this air pump.

It's bedroom quiet. And best of all, it has a lithium backup battery. So if power goes out, it will still run. My tanks are never without aeration and filtration. Or if you need to transport fish, you can use these pumps to keep them aerated. In a pinch you can power them off a portable charger or laptop.

I had a sudden case where the aquarium started to smell. I never used to use chemical. I took out the carbon pouch that came with the HOB and used batting. But... all of a sudden... it smelled.
I use sponge filters in all of my tanks regardless if they also have HOB or canister filtration. Sponge filters are amazing.
You can search this site and find causes of brown algae. But in my experience, it is mostly caused by overfeeding, poor water parameters and also in new tanks. A sponge filter will not eliminate your brown algae. I would also recheck your water parameters just to be sure. Are you testing before partial water exchanges or after?

You also mentioned noise with sponge filters. Two sources of noise need to be handled if you want a quiet filter system. The first as mentioned by @sharkweek178 is silencing the pump. The second is silencing the bubbles in the tank. The noise from both sources can be mitigated but not eliminated. I will be happy to assist with this if you would like. Personally, I would consider some sort of small internal filter or even a very small canister filter if you need total silence.
So sorry to hear about your surgery. I certainly hope you are feeling better and on the mend.

I use sponge filters in all of my tanks regardless if they also have HOB or canister filtration. Sponge filters are amazing.
You can search this site and find causes of brown algae. But in my experience, it is mostly caused by overfeeding, poor water parameters and also in new tanks. A sponge filter will not eliminate your brown algae. I would also recheck your water parameters just to be sure. Are you testing before partial water exchanges or after?

You also mentioned noise with sponge filters. Two sources of noise need to be handled if you want a quiet filter system. The first as mentioned by @sharkweek178 is silencing the pump. The second is silencing the bubbles in the tank. The noise from both sources can be mitigated but not eliminated. I will be happy to assist with this if you would like. Personally, I would consider some sort of small internal filter or even a very small canister filter if you need total silence.
So sorry to hear about your surgery. I certainly hope you are feeling better and on the mend.
I would greatly appreciate your help with the silencing of the bubbles. Thank you! In both cases, the tanks were fairly new when the brown algae began... and then it just kept growing. Thankfully, I have the brown algae under control... some snails and lots and lots of water changes really helped with that. Just took forever. I always test the water before a water change... :) Levels would go down after! LOL Tanks are fully cycled... nitrate is extremely extremely low... sometimes not even noticeable. I believe me, I bang the heck out of the 2nd nitrate bottle and THEN shake it for 30 seconds as well as 30 seconds after adding the drops to the vial. I was actually starting to think it might be faulty because I kept getting 0 ppm so I tested it on a small 1.5 gallon that I KNEW had to have REALLY high nitrates (no live animals in it, don't worry! It DID have a dead snail that I just... was too lazy to remove, lol... I only use the tank to grow extra plants) and it tested QUITE positive. So the test is working just fine.
I'm not really sure it was the brown algae that caused the smell... I had a bunch in that 1.5 gallon too, and it never smelled. So I don't know what the cause of the odor WAS... just know it was there and strong and I cannot afford to have it happen again with my lungs. And it correlated with the brown algae. So who knows.
Again, thanks for the offer to help!

I love this air pump.

It's bedroom quiet. And best of all, it has a lithium backup battery. So if power goes out, it will still run. My tanks are never without aeration and filtration. Or if you need to transport fish, you can use these pumps to keep them aerated. In a pinch you can power them off a portable charger or laptop.
Oh WOW! This looks AWESOME! Our power tends to go out fairly frequently... not for long... maybe an hour... but just knowing it will keep going is quite nice. I visit my parents overnight once or twice a week and always worry. So far, the HOB filters have always started back up on their own... but I won't have to worry at all about the betta tank, at least! Thanks so much.

Oh WOW! This looks AWESOME! Our power tends to go out fairly frequently... not for long... maybe an hour... but just knowing it will keep going is quite nice. I visit my parents overnight once or twice a week and always worry. So far, the HOB filters have always started back up on their own... but I won't have to worry at all about the betta tank, at least! Thanks so much.
I have similar issues, but I do have a bigass generator for the whole house for big outages.
However, I don't turn it on unless I expect the outage to last a long time, so I am considering a small UPS for the aquariums.. they aren't crazy expensive and the filters take so little energy it would go for hours with no problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back