Best Cory Food

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
What food do you feed your corys which the other fish wont pick on and over feed themselve with as i have algae wafers but i think i need a big tank with alot of fish in it as the wafers in my tank last for hours in there but i crush it to a small size to give to them

What food do you feed your corys which the other fish wont pick on and over feed themselve with as i have algae wafers but i think i need a big tank with alot of fish in it as the wafers in my tank last for hours in there but i crush it to a small size to give to them
I feed them this 0.7 pellet stuff from the place I buy my fish its unbranded but they love the stuff, I also feed the freeze dried cyclops as there must be thousands of the thing land on the sand and that gives them hours of searching, along with crushed up flakes and algea wafers they seem happy with there diet.

They get/eat several things here...

Hikari Sinking Wafers, JBL NovaTab (usually break that in 4 so I can spread it around a bit) and Sera Shrimps Natural (shrimp pellets, not really targetted @ them but they eat it also)

Once a week or so, as a treat, a cube of frozen bloodworms (defrosted in a little bit of tankwater before I feed them)

*edit* Out of those, the Sinking Wafers are the only thing the other fish (non-bottom-feeders) don't eat. Apart from the occasional nibble by one of the Mollies. I also don't crush or break up the wafers at all. They dissolve slowly, it just keeps them busy longer :)

Well, it depends what other fish you have in there. I've got platies with my corys and they are pigs, they eat everything. Once their food on the surface is gone, they go down and pick from the bottom or wherever the food is. I normally first put non-sinking food on the surface so the platies bunch up there. I even drop a couple of bigger non-sinking pellets(cichlid sticks) which are big for the platies to eat at once but keep them busy on the surface and then I drop the sinking pellets for the corys with my fingers in the water so they go to the bottom immediately for the bottom feeders to start eating. I also feed the corys mostly 1mm small pellets which they eat swallow instantly and the more food competitive fish don't have enough time to take over.

There isn't a great problem overfeeding your tank generally. The problem is that if your tank is not overfiltered and not maintained properly it may not cope with the waste produced and if the food is not the right type depending on the species, some of your fish can die from starvation if they get outcompeted all the time.

I do a couple of different things here too, to try and give them a balanced diet. Mostly, I sprinkle in the flake food to try and distract my barbs (piggies) and then I put in API bottom feeder shrimp pellets which sink right away. Once or twice a week I will also throw in one or two Bottom feeder tablets (Aqueon) and sometimes I will do that before I go to bed. Then, maybe two days a week, instead of flake food and the pellets, I just do tubifex worm cubes, about 3/4 of one for my tank :)

Corydoras are carnivorous. They need meaty feed by and large, not algae wafers. Shrimp pellets is what I feed mine. And mine have been trained to come out and get the pellets at feeding time. I overfeed my free swimming fish, to keep the danios busy. Eventually they come down and eat the leftovers from the cories. Early on with the cories, I fed them closer to lights out and they got the message. Now all the fish know the routine and get each other excited when feeding time comes. All the excitement from the top swimmers must let the cories know to come out.

The lid of one of my tanks squeeks when opened and the corys always get excited thinking it's food time.
Generally, corys are slow eaters and you can't expect them to eat the food in 3 minutes. I would be actually worried if all the food is gone in 3 minutes in a tank with corys. But I agree algae wafers should not be the main diet for corys. They need other stuff too, including foods high in protein and stuff like frozen blood worms. They also may not like the food you put in. I still have a pack of tetra algae wafers that takes ages to get eaten, even the pleco isn't interested, only when all the rest is gone some fish may nibble on it but as you say, I can see it for hours hanging around, not sure what the issue with them is.
My tanks which contain mostly bottom feeders, including the corys get many kinds of food as I love buying if I see something interesting: Hikari wafers for bottom feeders, hikari algae wafers, hikari mini sinking pellets, NLS thera +, NLS community, another 2 types of NLS I can't recall(all are small sinking pellets 1mm or so), tetra flakes, tetra pro colour, tetra cichlid sticks,sera algae wafers, frozen blood worms, mosquito larvae, brine shrimp, etc....and vegetables and fruit from the fridge too.
That's at the moment but it changes in time obviously.

Not many Corys eat algae wafers they just mess with them , but they do like Blood worm and Brine shrimp pellets .
I do not have any problems with other fish eatting the food as i only keep Corys .

I have had corys for a while now. First i started out with King British catfish pellet food, i chose this one because it had leopard corydoras on the front, which was the fish i had just purchased. These were tiny, and fell between the gravel in my tank, meaning the corydoras knew they were there but could not get to them. After noticing this I went for a new type of food, tetra wafer mix which they LOVE (if they can get to them I also have platys and they certainly are pigs). Don't just think you can give them algae wafer, feed them frozen food like frozen small bloodworms once a week.

My pleco ignores the algae wafers, maybe its coz he has so much algae for him to munch on in the tank! The corydoras also enjoy the veggies put in the tank that are meant for the pleco LOL

I have been using New Era catfish pellets and an australian made pellet. The New Era is my base food. Have found this stuff to be excellent. Moist pellet and less wastage in the tank.

Tetra prima everytime as a staple food, although it is a sinking food, you still get quite a bit that floats and it feeds both, bottom and top feeders at once ;)

Besty42 said:
I have had corys for a while now. First i started out with King British catfish pellet food, i chose this one because it had leopard corydoras on the front, which was the fish i had just purchased. These were tiny, and fell between the gravel in my tank, meaning the corydoras knew they were there but could not get to them. After noticing this I went for a new type of food, tetra wafer mix which they LOVE (if they can get to them I also have platys and they certainly are pigs). Don't just think you can give them algae wafer, feed them frozen food like frozen small bloodworms once a week.

My pleco ignores the algae wafers, maybe its coz he has so much algae for him to munch on in the tank! The corydoras also enjoy the veggies put in the tank that are meant for the pleco LOL
Have you considered switching to a sand substrate? Your cory would love it. You'd see a noticeable change in their behavior. Mine sometimes dive headfirst into it!

I feed mine crushed flakes and sinking pellets, spirulina tabs, cucumber and peas. I tried shrimp pellets a couple of times, but I hate the way it disburses all over the tank. 

Most reactions

Back