Best Bottom Feeders

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i like the Golden Sucking Loach, they grow to about 6" to 11" but it does take a while.

I've got one in my 25 litre tank. when it gets too big i will give it to my dad, hes got a rekord 80

What size tank do you have? Cories are a popular choice for bottom feeders. They come in lots of different varieties too, so I'm sure you could find something you'd like! There is more info on them in the profile section of the forum.

To sparky_555 - Sucking Loaches are very risky "community fish". They grow large, and they can become very aggressive. I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. :)

i like the Golden Sucking Loach, they grow to about 6" to 11" but it does take a while.

I've got one in my 25 litre tank. when it gets too big i will give it to my dad, hes got a rekord 80

Note that these cannot really be classed as community fish as they often grow aggressive in maturity.

In my experiences, cories have been the way to go. I usually get emerald cories, but for the most part, a cory is a cory, they all get the job done regardless of what they look like.

Hi which are the best bottom feeders

How large is your tank and what you you already have in it ?
Why do you want a bottom feeder ?

It's not just size that's an issue http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=98998 but the actual fish in general. I would not reccommend it for a community tank.

I agree with Bloo and Annastasia, sucking loaches are of dubious value in most community tanks.

Also, you don't actually _need_ a bottom feeder. Most midwater fish (for example barbs and dwarf cichlids) will search the bottom of the tank for food. Even things like neons and cardinals will take food from the bottom of the tank. Algae-eating fish, such as plecs, are also very good at eating up any overlooked bloodworms or fish flakes. Finally, regular cleaning of the sand or gravel is much more important that simply installing a "clean-up crew" in a properly maintained tank.

So choose bottom dwellers based on interest, colours, and compatabilty. Since you can only have a certain amount of fish in your tank, you may as well choose them carefully. Sticking to silly rules like "must have a scavenger" or "must have an algae eater" is just a waste of space!

Cheers,

Neale

well put nmonks, though if you can find ones that you like that fit the cleaning requirement, you have a winner.

I myself needed some bottom feeders that could take care of snails for me. just so happens that I love the zebra loach, though i did meet a fair few friends that i love as well.

must say, khuli loaches are on for my 4ft tank!!

Hi i have a 10 gallon nano tank which i have 6 neon tetras 1 male fighter and 2 gray fish with silver bellys dont know what there called but they have tiny whiskers and they begin with a p

Hi i have a 10 gallon nano tank which i have 6 neon tetras 1 male fighter and 2 gray fish with silver bellys dont know what there called but they have tiny whiskers and they begin with a p
They'll probably be pygmaeus cories. Reach about 1" when fully grown and are great for a small tank.

Cories and Malaysian trumpet snails.

Cories get everyting on top of the gravel

Snails get everything below - they don't eat plants, keep the gravel aerated, and don't overpopulate the tank like pest snails (unless you are severely overfeeding)

Carl

Snails get everything below - they don't eat plants
Be careful when you say, "snails don't eat plants" (it sounded like snails in general) - there are many strictly herbivorous snail that will damage and devour plants. But as you mentioned Malaysian trumpet snails however generally won't eat plants and sift through the substrate. Take care not to overfeed though, or the MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) will explode in population !

If you have room, i'd say get a pair of pitbull plecs, they only get around the 3-4" mark and they do like each others company, my little one follows the big one everywhere! They also aren't very shy like some plecs are, they just show off all day and they are very fast swimmers which love a current!

Neal

If you have room, i'd say get a pair of pitbull plecs, they only get around the 3-4" mark and they do like each others company, my little one follows the big one everywhere! They also aren't very shy like some plecs are, they just show off all day and they are very fast swimmers which love a current!

Neal

hmm if his tank is slightly over filtered, he should be able to pull them off ok, id just be concerned about the overall tank dimensions for them to b happy in. stocking wise he should be ok.

i would say nothing bigger than 3" for the possible size of the tank, but he may just get awat with those guys. might be better off with a single fish at that sizzethough or a couple/few of smaller fish/snails

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back