Berta is inactive but also normal??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

musicalbetta

Reaction score
I recently got a new snail (which i'm not sure if there's even a snail in there, probably not) and my betta started acting weird. He hangs out on the gravel against the glass really close to the snail, and doesn't move much. But then, whenever he does move (when I coax him into moving, that is), he swims normally and is active, but that's only when I feed him.
I do water changes every week, just recently cleaned the gravel and whole tank, and the tank is 2.5 gallons. Any ideas as to what's going on?

So the snail hasn't moved at all? Take it out and give it a sniff, if it's dead and smelly then toss it and do a water change. A rotting snail will make the ammonia go up and effect the fish.

You just did a deep clean of the tank, so there is also a possibility of a mini cycle. Is the tank filtered and heated? 2.5 is a bit small for any fish so even a small change can mess with the water quality, that's why bigger tanks are easier to have as there is less a chance of parameter swings. I would test the water for nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, temp etc. because usually when a fish is acting lethargic for no visible reason it's a water problem.

So the snail hasn't moved at all? Take it out and give it a sniff, if it's dead and smelly then toss it and do a water change. A rotting snail will make the ammonia go up and effect the fish.

You just did a deep clean of the tank, so there is also a possibility of a mini cycle. Is the tank filtered and heated? 2.5 is a bit small for any fish so even a small change can mess with the water quality, that's why bigger tanks are easier to have as there is less a chance of parameter swings. I would test the water for nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, temp etc. because usually when a fish is acting lethargic for no visible reason it's a water problem.
Yeah, the tank is filtered and heated. I'll bring a sample of my tank water over to my local pet store today. Thanks for letting me know

Most reactions

trending

Back