Beginners tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

It's not a bad tank, but it is still quite small and, being a cube as well, you will be limited as to what you could stock. A rectangular 60 or 100l might be a better choice, but that one would be fine for a few smaller fish.

That tank would be fine for a single male Betta or some Galaxy rasboras. Water parameters permitting.

That sounds pretty good. You could stock a wide variety of fish in there... I would suggest guppies or neons... great beginner fish! Cherry barbs are great as well, but they can be a bit aggressive and require a bit more care. You might be able to get a dwarf gourami as a center piece and a small school of tiger barbs. Those are semi agressive tho...

I was thinking a shoal of neons, maybe 12? And 2 larger fish. Will take a look at your suggestions, thank you very much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might be able to get a dwarf gourami as a center piece and a small school of tiger barbs

I don't know, The barbs might nip the gouramis feelers.

Before getting any fish what are your water parameters? do you ave soft or hard water?

Thanks all. Iā€™ve been reading about cycling all week! One quick question - do you use a mat to put your tank on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not with the Superfish tank in your link. Given the shape of the surround, there is no glass in contact with the surface underneath.

But are you sure you want that tank? I have seen them in a local shop and that 'frame' looks as though water changes would be tricky because of the bar that goes across the middle. Personally, I would go for an ordinary tank rather than a 'designer' tank.

It depends on the tank. Some just have a flat glass base; those do need to be put on a layer of polystyrene or something similar.

Other tanks have what's called a 'floating base'; they have a plastic trim around the bottom that goes underneath the tank and holds the glass away from the surface it's on. Those tanks should not be put on anything.

Thanks all for your replies. I bought the tank last week. The black bar which houses the lights flips back so the lid can lift. Fingers crossed it will be ok!

Iā€™ve been working this week on a base for the tank. Iā€™m prepping a treadle sewing machine base with a hardwood top for the tank to sit on. Need to make sure it is very sturdy but hopefully it will look great once itā€™s done. Then to wash the sand and plant on the weekend. But Christmas I should be ready for my first fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back