Beach/garden Rocks ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

khial

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this has probably been covered a million times before but...

I have some rocks i found on the beach several years ago and have been in my garden since, so have been rained on/watered with the plants,

will it be safe to put these in my tank? I have scrubbed them with hot water, rinsed several times and soaked in boiling water out of kettle.

I just thought i would get some advice before taking the big step of putting them in!!

thanks in advance

As long as they don't have any "veins" on them, or different colours running through them, then they should be fine. I would leave them in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks and do a few water tests to see if they do anything out of the ordinary to the water.

Do the odd water change though so there not just sitting in stagnant water :)

ok im just trying to research into what type of rock they are, its like a black/charcoal colour inside but a white/cream colour on the surface and sound like porcelain when knocked around....someones said slate but looking into it anyway

try putting something acidic like vinegar or lemon juice. If it fizzes it will raise your ph. (as another test you should do)

vinegar test, then soak them in a bucket for a week or so....

never boil rocks, they could explode and kill you!! (not joking)

Sounds like flint.

If it is, it's quite safe, although do watch out for sharp edges.

Hi everyone, I did the vinegar test and all was fine, they've been in the tank 8 days now and had no problems, look lovely, still no clue on what it is though 
Dunno.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back