Band Room Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

appelcha000

Reaction score
If my school band were to get a fish, would the fish be harmed in anyway by the noise?

Hi there, appelcha, welcome to the forum :)

What sort of band is it, and how big is the room? I'll be honest and say the noise from a live band would upset most fish, although loud music from a stereo normally doesn't, but it depends on how loud you are.

If you're a death metal band, then it's a definite no-no, whereas if you're a string quartet, you'll be fine!

By school band I'm assuming you mean like the typical horns and flutes and tubas and percussionists, right? Like marching band?

I have never seen a classroom properly care for a fish before. A lot of my fish hide when they hear a loud noise. Also, being in a school, I imagine there's going to be some idiot kid who thinks it's cool to point his saxophone directly into the water and blow.

This is not a good idea. Fish have exceptional hearing, more from their lateral line which detects minute vibrations. Many fish can even hunt extremely efficiently using only this hearing, so it is very acute.

I have been sitting in front of my tanks when a neighbour across the street closes their car door, and the fish in the tank all "jump" at the noise. I cannot stop neighbours from closing doors, but I can avoid playing any loud music close to the fish. These sorts of noises elicit the "predator" response in fish, so they can be very stressful. And stress is the direct cause of about 95% of all fish disease.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back