Balloon Ramirezi

clumzoid

Reaction score
Just bought a new tank

Capacity: 34 ltr
Dimensions: 38 W x 25 D x 46 H cm

would like to start it off with a pair of balloon rams. I've got the basics and i've bred some easy cichlids before just need more and tips on how to keep these guys happy and what types of fish i could add with them. (barbs, sharks, other cichlids or whether they are too aggresive for a male siamese fighter and some tetras).

and info on these little guys would be appreciated.

just found a full sticky on rams in the cichlid section. feel free to post info anyways :good:

German Blues, which i believe is what balloon rams are, are known to be very sensitive to water quality so I wouldn't suggest putting them into a cycling tank.

rams should be fine with tetras, but bettas are a definate no. Don't know about sharks or barbs, but this tank is really too small for any of those fish. Maybe one ram, being that they're not really active fish like tetras or barbs, but to be honest I had my pair in a ten gallon for a little while and they were absolutely miserable. they hid all the time and were horribly skittish. Now that they're in my 29 gallon they're much more animated.

Like starrynight, I think a 9 gallon tank is going to be too small for most of the fish you mention. The rams need a bit of space for territory and a more stable environment than a 9 gallon is going to offer. All sharks are a nono- far too active to be happy in such a small space. A betta would be fine, with suitable companions. The only barbs you might consider are cherry barbs- a trio of those should be ok.
I would go for either a trio of cherry barbs or a betta, in either case with a group of pygmy corys or corydoras habrosus, and maybe some shrimps.

Most reactions

Back