Bala Shark Upside Down, Gills Open And Red

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

murphyk32

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My bala shark, approx. 3-4 inches long, is currently upside down on the top of my tank! There is no open wounds or indication of aggressive injuries. His underneath kinda seemed slightly lighter in color then normal but I may be paranoid. Both gills are red inside, and are both opened approx 1mm. He is capable of swimming if disturbed or every once and a while, but for only a short time. He cant stay still, his body wants to float up and he tries to swim down but eventually gives up. When trying to stop himself from going back up, he is normally vertical, only ever horizontal if swimming fast momentarily. I was worried about possible lack of oxygen because filter wasnt pushing a lot of water and tank was filled so water wasnt being disturbed much so I have added a tube from an air pump into the tank pumping some air in. I also have a pack of E.M. Erythromycin and melafix but havent dosed either yet.

My bala shark, approx. 3-4 inches long, is currently upside down on the top of my tank! There is no open wounds or indication of aggressive injuries. His underneath kinda seemed slightly lighter in color then normal but I may be paranoid. Both gills are red inside, and are both opened approx 1mm. He is capable of swimming if disturbed or every once and a while, but for only a short time. He cant stay still, his body wants to float up and he tries to swim down but eventually gives up. When trying to stop himself from going back up, he is normally vertical, only ever horizontal if swimming fast momentarily. I was worried about possible lack of oxygen because filter wasnt pushing a lot of water and tank was filled so water wasnt being disturbed much so I have added a tube from an air pump into the tank pumping some air in. I also have a pack of E.M. Erythromycin and melafix but havent dosed either yet.

How big is your tank and what do you have in it?

55g with 2 severums, 1 bala, 1 opaline gourami, 2 plecos soon to be removed, one redtail shark and one rainbow shark

dont have a kit handy for specs but tank has been up for years (different fish in and out) and no recent changes have happened to make this occur

Overnight the Bala shark started to slowly swim normal, and is now swimming perfectly fine but its gills are still very red and opened.. anybody??

Need water stats really as bad water quality is the first thing to rule out.

Red gills can be bad water quality, gill flukes, bacterial gill rot.

Any signs of flicking and rubbing, excess mucas, darting.

Also bala sharks should not be kept in less than a group of 3.
Red tailed sharks and rainbow sharks shouldn't be kept together.

Immediate water change.
Get water tested at lfs and ask them to write the readings down for you.

Agreed, even though it is a mature tank that doesn't mean your water is perfect.
There is the possibility that even though you haven't changed anything, ie. added or removed fish, that the filter is no longer able to cope.
If that was the case it would mean there was ammonia and/or nitrites in the water.

Also there is the possibility your nitrates could be much much higher than you presume they are.

It's certainly worth getting the water tested.

Have you a lid on your tank. It could be that your Bala (jumped) and concussed itself. Further to earlier comments, Red tail and Bala combo, not recommended. it could be that the red tail harrasing the Bala made it jump. I had a Bala concuss itself, it took a while for it to come round, floated every which way but normal. My Bala's are pretty much bomb proof other than that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back