Bala Shark Not Swimming Well

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

No leave the post here we don't mind, the jumping probably due to the water quality, so can you post some water stats to take a look at.

No leave the post here we don't mind, the jumping probably due to the water quality, so can you post some water stats to take a look at.
Have been doing small water changes every day - water stats so far as follows:
pH 6.4 (but they're used to that)
hardeness >6d
Nitrite 3ish
Nitrate 25
Ammonia 1.2mg/l
Don't understand why nitrates so high but I've checked twice - I thought in a cycling tank you would get high nitrites first. Maybe because I added some gravel and water from the old tank. I know ammonia is high but don't I have to let it get a little high to cycle the tank? I can do bigger water changes but I read that this just prevents the tank from cycling. At the moment, I'm only doing 10% per day.
The Bala sharks were in my first tank when it cycled (I know that was wrong but I didn't know at the time). They went through a terrible time - septicaemia and all sorts but they came through so I don't want to lose them now. They both still look well but I haven't seen the one that was sick eat and she looks thin. They've stopped jumping but they're still racing around the tank and rubbing against each other and the female (I thinks she's female cause she's bigger) is now fighting at her reflection. Might they be mating? Do females go off their food when mating or is that just wishful thinking?

If the fish has stopped eating and going thin it's not looking promising i'm afraid.

Ok fingers crossed and wish you luck.

Most reactions

Back