Bala Shark In Trouble

mbeer21

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My Bala shark seems to have a chunk of gravel stuck in his mouth - he doesn't seem stressed and is swimming around as normal (quite slowly as I think he's paying more attention to his mouth than swimming) and breathing normally, but his mouth is stuck open and the gravel is visible. Anything I can do to help, or just wait for him to dislodge it himself?

I think he'll be fine, but what size is your tank? Water change frequency, ammonia nitrite nitrate hardness etc?
Bala sharks have the potential to grow more than 12" and are very skittish they require a tank of 9' by 3' by 3' minimum to keep them happy.

I think he'll be fine, but what size is your tank? Water change frequency, ammonia nitrite nitrate hardness etc?
Bala sharks have the potential to grow more than 12" and are very skittish they require a tank of 9' by 3' by 3' minimum to keep them happy.

I am aware of that thank you - that's not what I need advice about.

Photo
DSCN5392-1.jpg

Yes I'm aware of that thank you. That's not what I NEED in order to help you. I NEED to know those stats or else I can't help you, sadly.

What does the tank and water have to do with him choking on gravel?

In order to help him heal. I'm sure it will come out in a small matter of time, because you said he's breathing normally. Once it does come out chances are there may be an open wound. The tank size, maintenance, water stats, and dechlorinator type are crucial to your fish in order for it to heal and even more importantly so it doesn't get an infection. You can't even imagine how important it is, so please just answer the question.

130L tank, established for about 15 months now - 40-50% change/clean once a week, 0 ammonia and nitrite, around 40 nitrate (due for it's clean tomorrow)
Tank is not at all ideal, I'm aware. He was given to me by a friend who no longer wanted his fish (they were in water that was so old it was black). He was over a year old when I got him and he's just about 6 years old now. My local fish store won't take him, and there are no locals interested in him. I'm planning on finding a better home for him as soon as I move to the city.

Going to work now - hopefully he's spat it out by the time I get home and I can stop worrying.

Ok so thankfully you take good care of them. If he has spit it out I'd do 30% daily water changes daily and use some stress zyme for a week so it'll heal fast.

He still hasn't spat it out - didn't stop him from trying to eat dinner though, and he even managed to suck in some small flakes! If he's still struggling with it tomorrow should I try to get it out myself? Net him out and try with tweezers, or something?

You need to get that out. It's not likely to come out on its own, and it could get lodged in even further.

Net him gently and hold him in the net while carefully removing the gravel with a pair of tweezers.

I would seriously consider getting either larger gravel or sand.

Yes now that he hadn't spit it out you'll need to get that out!! Then once it's out do 30-40% daily water changes using your regular declorinator and some stresscoat or stresszyme with it. That should heal him right up.

It's ok now, he's spat it out (I hope - didn't see it happen but I don't suppose he could have swallowed it?) and he's back to business as usual.
Thanks for the advice, I'll get the water changed today.
And sorry if I was being a bit disagreeable in the early posts - was just freaking out about him.

Hopefully he got it out on his own. Watch closely for bowel movements so that you can be sure that it wasn't simply swallowed.

Yep will keep a close eye on him, thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back