Bacteria In A Bottle?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shaucid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay so I was at the pet store today buying a heater for my new 10 gallon tank, and I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask one of the employees if they carried pure ammonia (to do a fishless cycle). She said no but pointed me to a bottle of "Colony", which she said is basically like doing a fishless cycle but it's instant. I wanted to get a picture of the bottle to show but I didn't bring my camera.

Is using this bacteria in a bottle thing better than doing a fishless cycle?

-Thanks

EDIT: This is NOT about the 10 gallon that I already have fish in.

No such thing, They just don't work. You'd be better off buying a bottle of ammonia from a hardware store.

Okay so I was at the pet store today buying a heater for my new 10 gallon tank, and I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask one of the employees if they carried pure ammonia (to do a fishless cycle). She said no but pointed me to a bottle of "Colony", which she said is basically like doing a fishless cycle but it's instant. I wanted to get a picture of the bottle to show but I didn't bring my camera.

Is using this bacteria in a bottle thing better than doing a fishless cycle?

-Thanks

EDIT: This is NOT about the 10 gallon that I already have fish in.

Bacteria would probably die after they consume everything in that bottle, plus it would smell lol.

They could be true but it certainly isn't instant.

The idea is sound but the application is difficult to maintain. As stated the bacteria are likely to die and the proper species of bacteria is also important. Since these things occur naturally with just a bit of ammonia or a bit of mature filter material I shy away from bacteria in a bottle. If you have a cycled tank you can use it to speed the cycle of your new tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back