Backtotropical's Main Tank

:hyper: No problem backtotropical! Got any piccys yet?

Not yet. I've removed the rock and got a bit bogwood. Its soaking at the moment, so not in the tank yet. I'll be sure to post pics once i get the bogwood in. I got 2 x Fire Red Gouramis and 2 x Electric Blue Gouramis today too. They're cool. :good:

I cant seem to decide on the angelfish yet. I really want them, but i dont want my tetras to be angel food. :sad:

OK. So i couldn't help myself. Heres some pics.

Tank with rock removed. Needs some scaping but bogwood still to go in.
New_Front_View.jpg

Red Gourami
Red_Gourami.jpg

Blue Gourami
Blue_Gourami.jpg

:hyper: No problem backtotropical! Got any piccys yet?

Not yet. I've removed the rock and got a bit bogwood. Its soaking at the moment, so not in the tank yet. I'll be sure to post pics once i get the bogwood in. I got 2 x Fire Red Gouramis and 2 x Electric Blue Gouramis today too. They're cool. :good:

I cant seem to decide on the angelfish yet. I really want them, but i dont want my tetras to be angel food. :sad:

A word of warning. Gouramis usually will get pretty aggressive with each other (males anyways.) But, the tank may be big enough for the four of em' to have descent territories and may only squabble when they come out into the open "no mans" area. I think, if you want Angelfish, the best bet is to get em' while they are young and grow them with the little dithers (from what I hear this has the best success rate). The theory behind this one, is that after the length of time being together, they won't recognize them as something to eat.

A word of warning. Gouramis usually will get pretty aggressive with each other (males anyways.) But, the tank may be big enough for the four of em' to have descent territories and may only squabble when they come out into the open "no mans" area. I think, if you want Angelfish, the best bet is to get em' while they are young and grow them with the little dithers (from what I hear this has the best success rate). The theory behind this one, is that after the length of time being together, they won't recognize them as something to eat.

Thanks again DiscusLova. I'll keep an eye on them and keep you updated on how they get on. They seem to be ok so far.:good:

Nice!! :good: Beautiful gouramis you have!! :drool: I'm jealous. All the gouramis I ever kept were either mean to my smaller fish, or they died!! :crazy: :angry: Keep up the good work with the set-up!!GobyMaster

Cheers Gobymaster! :good:

I added the bogwood today and done a bit aquascaping. Tank is still a bit cloudy so will post more pics tomorrow. I also took the skimmer off. It's looking a bit less "marine" now. :good:

PH is 8 today. I will test in a couple of days to see if the bogwood is having the desired effect. Fingers crossed. :X

I added the bogwood today and done a bit aquascaping. Tank is still a bit cloudy so will post more pics tomorrow. I also took the skimmer off. It's looking a bit less "marine" now. :good:PH is 8 today. I will test in a couple of days to see if the bogwood is having the desired effect. Fingers crossed. :X
Hopefully it works. Are you going to consider any other means of lowering the Ph if the bogwood doesn't work as anticipated? How are the Gourami so far?BTW I want some pics! :p

Hopefully it works. Are you going to consider any other means of lowering the Ph if the bogwood doesn't work as anticipated? How are the Gourami so far?BTW I want some pics! :p

Regarding other ways of lowering PH, i'm hoping i wont have to, but if bogwood doesn't work, i might consider peat. I have a 6 stage RO unit from when i had marines but i'm not keen on the idea of mixing with tap water. Too easy to mess it up IMO.

Gouramis seem fine. They have been showing off to each other a bit, but no aggression so far.

I'm having a little bit trouble with my plants though, but i've got a thread in the plants section re that. See it here!

Pics coming tomorrow! :good:

Well, I didn't take a look at the thread, but from the looks of the pictures you posted it seems some of those plants aren't aquatic. Are you using any means of filterlization for the plants?

I just glanced at the picture, and browsed your first post on the thread. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think brown usually means a lack of micro nutrients I think mainly Iron. Although, if they are non-aquatic I think they will also go brown and die...

Well, I didn't take a look at the thread, but from the looks of the pictures you posted it seems some of those plants aren't aquatic. Are you using any means of filterlization for the plants?

I just glanced at the picture, and browsed your first post on the thread. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think brown usually means a lack of micro nutrients I think mainly Iron. Although, if they are non-aquatic I think they will also go brown and die...
Thanks. Do you know which ones aren't aquatic? I bought them all from my LFS! :sad:

I am feeding them with tablet food. Cant remember its name.

nice tank. i love the umbulia you have there. i definatly think the rock should go. doesnt look right for a fresh water set up.
lol you could always say you have a tropical and marine hybrid tank. that is sure to confuse everyone. hehe.
good stuff mate,
community

Hi dude nice tank BTW keep the pics coming, the ferny plants aren't aquatic plants I had them in my tank for a while and they just go brown and minging after a month or two.

Amazon sword is a really nice leafy plant, its hardy and grows well under the right lights, clumps of it look minted. Also java fern is a hardy good growing plant. I had another plant called ludwiga I think, It grows like the clappers and looks nice too.

The bog wood wont lower your ph to a great extent not with just one bit anyway, mopani wood is good also, you would get more reuslts with a bag of peat to lower your ph anyway.

:good: chish quick edit, noticed it looks like you amazon sword in there already my mistake lol

nice tank. i love the umbulia you have there. i definatly think the rock should go. doesnt look right for a fresh water set up.lol you could always say you have a tropical and marine hybrid tank. that is sure to confuse everyone. hehe.good stuff mate,community

I know it looked that way but its not , honest. LOL. Whats Umbulia?? Is it a plant?? :good:

Hi dude nice tank BTW keep the pics coming, the ferny plants aren't aquatic plants I had them in my tank for a while and they just go brown and minging after a month or two. Amazon sword is a really nice leafy plant, its hardy and grows well under the right lights, clumps of it look minted. Also java fern is a hardy good growing plant. I had another plant called ludwiga I think, It grows like the clappers and looks nice too. The bog wood wont lower your ph to a great extent not with just one bit anyway, mopani wood is good also, you would get more reuslts with a bag of peat to lower your ph anyway. :good: chish quick edit, noticed it looks like you amazon sword in there already my mistake lol

Cheers Chishnfips. Might try peat if the bogwood doesn't have the desired effect. :good:

Tank is clear now so more pics as promised.

DSC00716.JPG

DSC00720.JPG

DSC00722.JPG

DSC00724.JPG

More bogwood i think???

Yep. That Fern doesn't look aquatic. And that other type of plant, that almost looks like fern may not be aqautic also. You may want to get a few pics of each plant up close and post it on the planted tank section thread you have.

It looks good! :good: I think you should get another piece for the other side :D

Most reactions

Back