back of tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

j_n_c

Reaction score
hi all would anyone please be able to advise me what gives a good affect for the glass at the rear of a tank ie painting or something else any advice would be appreciated thanks.

i use background,black or blue or with plants i thinklook best.some people pain theirs or put fabric on.its a metter of what you like!

i bought a nice background with rocks and plants on it for £1.00

Paper or fabric background offer an almost unlimited range of options that are perfectly safe (because they are not 'in' the water). I've heard of many people spray painting the outside of the rear pane of glass although I've never tried it.

Painting leaves a permanent effect on the aquarium where I like to maintain the freedom of diversity.

I also use black or darker blue backgrounds almost exclusively.

I found a plain black brings the tank out nicely. I knew I would find a use for those left-over council binbags one day :D . Just cut out squares and sellotaped them to the outside.

I've seen something nice, on a wed site, il post it if i finb it.

I was made from small plastic gutters cut to the size of tank, with various size holes drilled all over, at the back slips of plastic was silicond in to make compartments, for fish to hide in,

the gutters where fastend together with zip ties, to create a pannel, the bottom of the gutters where then coated in black silicon and small bits of tufna, larva rock ete (depending on what fish u keep , ie water) was glued on with the black silicon (100% pure silicon some have fungacides in) :cool:

like i say if i find the site il post it

EDIT~ here u go try this :D
http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiygrotto/bndiygrotto.htm

loads of good stuff here as well, look at bottom of page for links :D
http://www.littleboxofbones.com/tank_rebuild2.html

thanks a lot for the advice i can see il have to have a think about this. with the picture backgrounds do you just glue them inside the tank to fit them?

Picture backgrounds are normally placed on the outside of the tank - usually you get a better effect if there is a 'sea' between the background and the tank glass - after numerous tries I have found that a thin layer of vaseline works well ! then I just use sellotape to secure the edges.

Good luck
Rita

Metermaid said:
Picture backgrounds are normally placed on the outside of the tank - usually you get a better effect if there is a 'sea' between the background and the tank glass - after numerous tries I have found that a thin layer of vaseline works well ! then I just use sellotape to secure the edges.

Good luck
Rita
This works very well, thin layer of vasaline and press firmly onto the glass from the middle outwards (to prevent trapped air bubbles) then fix it with tape.

Jon

I prefer a dark background too, but sometimes you end up not being able to see some of the darker fish in your tank easily without the overhead light on. The deep blue sea background with no plants or coral pictures etc. is what I have and find that it adds dimension without being too busy.

I just bought a background tonight for my 29 gallon. It is blue on one side and black on the other. I hadn't planned on using a BG but the tank sits right beside a window and I guess I am getting too much indirect light. The algae is getting terrible, especially as the days start to get longer. I am going to put the background on the end that is beside the window and on the back.

Most reactions

Back