Baby bristlenoses

Thomas A. Anderson

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, I've managed to bring just one bristlenose to adulthood in the past but that was just by luck, I never even noticed it until he was about 1/2 inch. Anyway, whilst doing a tank clean, I was cleaning one of the caves and spotted about 40 baby bristlenoses each about 2mm long. I managed to transfer them to a breeding trap until I can transfer them to my Q-tank which is being recycled after a minor accident involving a 6 year old and a bottle of washing-up liquid. :dunno:

What should I feed them, I don't think they are big enough yet to tackle algae wafers or green veggies. Would liqui-fry suffice or is there some other stuff more suitable?

Cheers

Wow. So we know these guys are cave breeders.

The liquid food should work. :nod:

You might also want to try baby artemia and daphnia and the like, though I'm not sure if the fry will be able to eat these.

You could add small pieces of wafers and remove them after an hour or so. :dunno:

seriously - put them back...

the male tends to them untill the are able to look after them selves. they live off of their egg sak for a while but then they eat algae and veg. (cucumber slices anyone ;))

I'm surprised the male wasn't in the cave guarding them...

:thumbs: once you have messed with them, i doubt the male will accept them back. Try feeding some blanched zuchini or cucumber.

PM chooklet, she just had a couple of lots of B'nose fry in the last week or two, she should know how to raise them :thumbs:

The male was in the cave with them, but it wasn't until I took the cave out that I noticed all the fry in the roof of the cave. I didn't want to risk leaving them in there as some of the other fish especially my golden panchax would eat them. Its probably too late to put them back I guess so I'll have to be the substitute father for them.

If I were you I would put the babies back in the tank where they came from. If they have no yolk sac....they will be fine without the parental care of the father. Back in the main tank they will have plenty to eat with left over food from the other fish....algae in the tank etc. My fry are about 4 weeks old now and have grown heaps without any special food. That said....they will also eat cucumber and zucchini that I feed the adults and also lettuce. They don't seem interested in the algae tablets yet.

Good luck with the little guys...they get BIG and FAST!!!

If you are still unsure of whether or not you should put them back why not try half with you in another tank and half with dad in the community tank? Please let us know how they are doing. It is so interesting to find out how these fish grow...

ALASKA

They are still in a breeding trap inside my main tank, there was no remains of any yolk sac so I will leave them in the trap until they get bigger. They have already grown to about 5mm and about 15 can share half an algae tablet at the same time. Very cute :thumbs: :cool:

at least they are eating themselves... a pic would be great (all chowing on a wafer B) )

Most reactions

Back