Attack Of The Brown Fuzz

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

some strains of cyano look stringy, then again so do some protists. gotta look for that nucleus :D

Got a new light today, a T4 circular. The improvement is amazing. I realize now that my other bulbs on my tanks must be wearing out 'cause they don't look anywhere near that white :crazy: time for new ones...

Under the better light, the brown stuff actually has a little bit of a greenish tint where it's thicker. I will try to get the motivation to get the scope out today...no idea how I will take a sample though. It just disintigrates and blows away in the current when I try to get some off the glass.

Got a pipet or eyedropper? Try sucking some up and squirting it on a slide. Not sure if you'll have to dua nucleus stain, but see what you see :)

I was thinking pipet, but I am clean out of them and have no idea where to pick some up of the right size nearby (without ordering them that is).

I did find the solution though...all hail the mighty Trochus :good: I will still look at a sample though as soon as I can get one. There's enough of this stuff it won't be gone for a while.

trochus snails huh? great suggestion indeed. I'll have to try it in the future :)

Bah! I will pit my team of trochus against your lawnmower blenny then in a the tripple fuzz-buster with the stakes being winner eats all :lol: :p

Still working on getting an ID. I am not turning up anything good with the microscope so far, but since I just put the thing back together, I may not have everything as fine-tuned as it should be. In the mean time my zebra hermits are being dingbats and playing king of the hill on the big Trochus.

Bah! I will pit my team of trochus against your lawnmower blenny then in a the tripple fuzz-buster with the stakes being winner eats all :lol: :p

My Blenny will crush the Trocus! :lol:

I noticed a new trend with the dust. It seems to appear more rapidly when debris is stirred up from the sand bed. Also, it appears to "take over" the tips of hair algae.

-Lynden

OT question: do your zebras seem more capable than most common marine hermits when out of the water? I had to build a tight-fitting lid for my bowl due to hermit exploration...if any of mine found their way up the pump cord and accidently fell over the side, they would go flying accross the desk at full tilt until caught. Other hermits I've seen out of the water couldn't really pick up and run like that.

My Red Hermit is very capable. Although he is quite huge.

But Dwarf Zebras do seem to be very active and strong.

two things i reccamend doing

#1. get a plecostomus to eat it all

#2. get a couple antialge disolving tablets

A pleco can be acclimated to saltwater? News to me...

Zebra and blueleg hermits do that a lot. They occur naturally in the tidepools in the florida and gulf of mexico region and when certain places go dry, they run around and find more water. If you ever go to Biscayne bay or key biscayne in florida you can find zebra and blueleg hermits EVERYWHERE along with astrea and cerith snails. They love all the algaes that grow in that shallow environment.

#1. get a plecostomus to eat it all

#2. get a couple antialge disolving tablets

Uh...freshwater/saltwater confusion? Plecos may go brackish but I don't think acclimating fresh/brackish fish to saltwater simply for something like that is right if it's even possible. Algae tablets are bad stuff IME, not good for a freshwater system and I would never put something like it in a marine system. It's not even clear that the brown fuzz is something that would be affected by such a treatment.

Biscayne bay or key biscayne in florida you can find zebra and blueleg hermits EVERYWHERE along with astrea and cerith snails.

If I'm able to get back down there I will have to go to the beaches and keep an eye out for that. I missed seeing marine stuff when I was down in FL the last time but that somehow figures about the zebra hermits there lol.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back