Asain Rummynose

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JDFish

Reaction score
So, I've kept quite a few varieties of fish and I wouldn't say I'm a pro but I definitely know the basics. I recently bought Asain Rummynose aswell as some fire red shrimp. The plan is to breed my Rummynose so any tips would help. My tank is heavily planted however the plants will take time to grow out. I have a filter that is very powerful and keeps water very clean and cycled. I also bought a poweredhead to keep water flow good. I feed them every 2-3 days but I don't always see them catching the food and it worries me because I don't want any to starve. Basically any tips I can get on Asain Rummynose I'll take. Thanks!

Never seen them, kept them or bred them but they look like a rasbora and are apparently endangered so if you can breed them that would be great. Having said that, fish are fish and they all breed in a similar way.

The following link has some info on breeding fish in general as well as making live food for the fry. Rasbora fry need infusoria or small rotifers for the first few weeks.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

I would keep the adults in a single species tank and feed them well 3-4 times per day. Feed a variety of foods including dry, frozen and live if you can get it. Mosquito larvae are the best food for conditioning small aquarium fish. Other good foods include live daphnia, aphids, grindle worms, microworms, newly hatched brineshrimp and raw or cooked prawn/ shrimp. With prawn you buy some and put it in the freezer. Remove one prawn and defrost it. Remove the head shell and gut (thin black thing running thru the middle of the prawn) and throw in the bin. Use a pr of scissors to cut the prawn into small bits and offer 1 or 2 bits at a time. Let the fish eat them and then offer a couple more bits. Continue until the fish are full.

Do big (75%) water changes and gravel cleans several times a week to keep the nutrients down. The big water changes also act a bit like rain in the wild. Fish usually breed when there is rain and the rivers flood so big water changes help to simulate that.

When the fish are mature and have been fed really well for a few weeks, the females will develop eggs and the males will start to show off and display to the females. Java Moss is the most commonly used plant for rasboras to breed in. Watch and wait and you should eventually see them displaying near the plants. If they do breed the pr will probably swim into the plants, release eggs & sperm and then swim out. They usually repeat this a number of times before the female has released all her eggs.

The eggs will probably sink to the bottom and hatch after a few days. If the adults are left in the tank they might eat the young but they might not, it depends on the species and if they are hungry. If fish are well fed they tend to ignore their own eggs and young.

If you do see the fish breeding you can remove the adults later that day or the following day and lower the water level in the breeding tank. Reduce the filtration and water movement too. Then wait for the fry to appear.

If you have 2 tanks then you can separate males and females for a few days and then put them together in a breeding tank. Once they breed you remove them to the other tank.

Changing the temperature can also encourage fish to breed. Quite often a 2 or 3C temperature increase or decrease can start fish spawning. Try to keep the temp between 20-24C for breeding and rearing the fry.

Morning sunlight can encourage fish to breed. Having the curtains open at night allows morning sunlight to come in. If the morning sunlight hits the tank for an hour or so that is even better.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back