Are tiger babrs...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

TropicalDude86

Reaction score
Can tiger barbs be housed in a 10 gal tank is it big enough if not... please tell me what you think would be perfect for a 10 gal tank

Not ideal as you need at least 6 and thats pushing it in a 10 gal :/ . You could have a fair sized school of smaller fish like neons or most tetras for that matter.

Praecox (dwarf) rainbow fish would also work and are a little different. :)

Ferris said:
Not ideal as you need at least 6 and thats pushing it in a 10 gal :/ . You could have a fair sized school of smaller fish like neons or most tetras for that matter.

Praecox (dwarf) rainbow fish would also work and are a little different. :)
Why does he need at least 6? There's no reason cutting a few off the list... :dunno:

tiger barbs are nippy little fish and this tendancy is exacerbated in a small school. essentially, the only way you can keep other fish is to keep fewer tiger barbs, but the only way to keep the tiger barbs from harassing the other fish is to keep more tiger barbs. :/ its just a catch22 and best avoided altogether.

unless of course, you only want tiger barbs. :p

I would say no since they like to be in groups of 6 or more.

I would also so no due to the group thing
and due to how active they are.
Like danios, TB's need a lot of swimming space

With good aeration and filtration you could have 6 Tigers in a 10gal...I have had quite a lot of experience with Tiger Barbs and have found that they usually behave themselves in a minimum group of 4...keeping the tank well planted helps too!!!

Tiger barbs can reach up to 3", but most likely will grow to around 2". Like The Wolf said, they need swimming space and a 10 gal wouldn't be enough.

Why does he need at least 6? There's no reason cutting a few off the list

I think this has already been answered! :/

I have 3 tiger barbs, and they are very happy fish. They never nip each other or any other fish in the tank and they are very active.

There tank mates are:

6 Gold Barbs
6 Cherry Barbs
1 Red tailed shark
1 pleco

They are all housed in a 35 gallon tank with lots of drift wood.

I know it is "best" to have 6 of them, however I have had tiger barbs for years and with my experience you can keep them in groups of less then 6. Just be very careful with your tank mates. Also I would suggest if you were to get tiger barbs you should get a trio. A 10 gal is pretty small so I woudlnt plan on putting to much more in there.

EDIT:

I also agree that there would not be enough swimming space in a 10 gal to keep them happy. leafs, I have never had a tiger barb get to a full 3 inches before, do you have tiger barbs that are 3 inches, if so I would love to see the pictures, I wish mine got that big. And if they are not yours, do have pictures of 3 inch tiger barbs?

Hi ccg. I have 12 Tiger barbs (6 green and 6 regular). The biggest one I have right now is close to 2", sorry I don't have any pictures. If you google it you can get an idea as to the size. My lfs has some that look to be close to 3". The majority of mine are around 1, 1/2". I'm hoping mine get to be close to 3", but they will most likely max out at around 2". I try to feed mine a variety of foods to help their growth. What do you feed yours?

I have 3 Tigers (1 male, 2 females) in a 72 litre tank (sorry can't convert to gallons!). At first the male Tiger was "having a go" at all the other fish (3 swordtails, 4 Bronze corries, 3 pristellas) and we decided to get another tank and put the Tigers in. However, whilst we were waiting for the new tank to cycle, Spike (male Tiger) obviously decided that there was nothing in there that challenged his obvious (to him) superiority and he basically started leaving them all alone.

WE now have no problems at all with him and we have even seen the bronze corries having a quick go at Spike if he gets too close! They seem perfectly happy and we have a well balanced tank and no fights!

Maybe worth sticking with it until the Tigers calm down - although I appreciate that if you have a very aggressive one he may not ever calm down. Maybe we were just lucky! Mind all that sedative a put in the water may have helped :lol:

Most reactions

Back