Are These Goldfish Eggs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dipsydoodlenoodle

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I found what could possible be eggs in goldfish tank. I have male and female fish. However I’ve not seen eggs before; what do eggs look like (I can’t really look at work cos most ‘hobby’ sites are blocked).

What I have found look to be little clear bubbles (they are definitely not bubbles but that’s what I originally thought they were).

They were wedged between the side of the tank and the thermometer; so I removed them to a container.

I can’t tell if they are eggs or if they are air bubbles in their poo. Without being too graphic, as you know when fish poo they have like a membrane thing around it which effectively holds it together; these “eggs” also have that membrane surrounding them (but no other dirt/mess). They also float.

They are clear, and don’t look to have anything in them, and they are about 0.5-1cm in diameter (not quite 1cm but smaller than that).

Are they eggs, or just air bubbles? I’ll try and get a decent photo if I can. Also if they are eggs, what do I do?

Do they need to be in a filtered tank; would my best options be to put them in a breeding trap in the main tank or to maybe put them in a spare 1.5 gallon tank I have (filter will be too strong for them though).

EDIT: I guess I should maybe add (don’t know if it’s important or not).

I have goldfish (I’ve had them 9 years) and shibunkins (I’ve had them 9 years), and goldfish (I’ve had them about 7 months)

without the pic cant really say what it is youre seeing..if its eggs they will be sticking to anything they can..could be aborted eggs ..but need the pic

They were just floating, well wedged into the corner(which is why I don't think they are eggs). I'll get a picture tonight; didn't really have time to last night when I spotted them.

I only found the three of them, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't more, I didn't in fairness look , and if there was more the hoovers, sorry goldfish will have eaten them.

Goldfish eggs are adhesive and will fall to the bottom and stick to the first object they touch, but they do look like shiny little bubble balls... The best (only) way to transfer them is to submerge a container... put them into the container under water and lift the container with them remaining submerged.... If during the process they are exposed to atmosphere... they will not hatch.

These were at the top of the tank so I think I'm safe to assume they aren't eggs?

I think I'll still put them in a breeding trap for a few days....JUST in case.

These were at the top of the tank so I think I'm safe to assume they aren't eggs?

I think I'll still put them in a breeding trap for a few days....JUST in case.

Are there only Goldfish in there... Gouramie eggs float, but they are a lot smaller??

...ok... I thought you said there were ony 3 eggs in there which you;ve collected... Those are defo no eggs of any fish and only appears when you do a water change. Also cannot see how they can be collected, as bubbles burst. You are safe... it is natural.

It doesn't look like goldfish eggs... just something wierd and slimey lol. Does your goldfish tank have plants in it?

Nope, the only new thing I've added to the tank in the last month or so is a piece of bog wood.

...ok... I thought you said there were ony 3 eggs in there which you;ve collected... Those are defo no eggs of any fish and only appears when you do a water change. Also cannot see how they can be collected, as bubbles burst. You are safe... it is natural.

There were only 3 things, I just took multiple pictures. See I didn't think they were eggs, but they definately aren't bubbles as I've prodded, squirted etc. I just didn't want to get rid of them in case they were eggs, but the more I looked at them the more I was sure they weren't eggs.

To me looks like air bubbles in the poo...when fish come up to eat they take in air as well and though most is expelled through the gills some can travel through the gut and come out like that..its not eggs no..maybe try finding a granular pellet that sinks or give them live/frozen food such as bloodworms...also cook through some garden peas,deshel and squash a little..this may improve digestion as fish eating just flake food get terrible digestive problems

To me looks like air bubbles in the poo...when fish come up to eat they take in air as well and though most is expelled through the gills some can travel through the gut and come out like that..its not eggs no..maybe try finding a granular pellet that sinks or give them live/frozen food such as bloodworms...also cook through some garden peas,deshel and squash a little..this may improve digestion as fish eating just flake food get terrible digestive problems

That is exactly what I thought it was; but I just wanted to check to be on the safe side :). I've been feeding them peas; they seem to like it better than their food; although some plain refuse to eat it. They also get left over newt food (blood worm, brine shrimp, daphnia). Algae wafers too (which they love).

I asked about the plants because goldfish tend to lay eggs on plants

I've actually got a question about plants on the forum for this tank at the minute :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back