Are these fish ok for my tank

I have just 2 tanks.
The 23 litre has red cherry shrimps and a nerite snail.
The 180 litre has pearl gouramis, espe's rasboras, kuhli loaches, chili rasboras (that were supposed to be in the 23 litre but were moved as they huddled at the back), the last few Daisy's rice fish, and the last few Boraras urophthamoides. And a few nerite snails and the shrimp I couldn't catch to move into the small tank.

I have had more tanks over the years, including a 54 litre tank which was in the kitchen but when we had that altered there was no longer any room for the tank so I had to close it :(
Oh. I have two tanks in my room the 33 gallon and a 12 gallon. You already know the stock of the 33, but in the 12 I have a lemon ancistrus, a pair of albino cory 2 female bettas named Eclipse and Rigel a ram and 5 gold rummynose tetras. Might move the albino corys and get more of them in the 33 gallon.

I think I'd do bosemani rainbows (8) and then a big school of sids, with a GN pleco by the way using RO water

Melanotaenia boesemani do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 200ppm.

ah, ok good old henderson-hasselbach and acid dissociation constants. always messed me up, will continue to mess me up :D

low pH -> lots of H+ -> drives equation right so predominant species is ammonium, neutralizing its toxicity. In higher pH situations (less H+), the predominant species is ammonia, which is toxic.

so bottom line: ammonia is toxic, ammonium is less toxic. If you have low enough pH, more of the ammonia will convert to ammonium, rendering it less lethal to fish. However, because it's an equilibrium constant, there will always be some ammonia present in its nonionized form, so it's not like low pH is the panacea.

Thanks @essjay :)
All the more reason for a simple, accurate, and CHEAP machine that will take care of all this ammonia , nitrite, nitrate mumbo jumbo for us... LOL....but wait if there did exist such a machine it would crash the fish keeping water quality industry....LOL and thousands of employees would loses their jobs....sigh....

This ppm thing is really giving me the run around when it comes to what fish can be in it and what can't lol
Most tetras, barbs, rasboras, gouramis, Bettas, angelfish, discus, Corydoras and loaches come from soft water with a pH below 7.0 and a GH below 100ppm.

Most rainbowfish, goldfish and livebearers (mollies, guppies, swordtails, platies) come from water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 200ppm (250ppm for mollies).

If you have water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 300ppm, then African Rift Lake cichlids are they way to go.

Most tetras, barbs, rasboras, gouramis, Bettas, angelfish, discus, Corydoras and loaches come from soft water with a pH below 7.0 and a GH below 100ppm.

Most rainbowfish, goldfish and livebearers (mollies, guppies, swordtails, platies) come from water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 200ppm (250ppm for mollies).

If you have water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 300ppm, then African Rift Lake cichlids are they way to go.
Aaaaaah but tank size then rears it’s head. :angry:

Ok after a few hours of confusion, I've realised that I could only post images via link in a conversation whereas in a thread that is not in a conversation I can upload via downloads. Here is my 33 gallon fully stocked. Also can anyone tell me what the plant is in the back left?
PHOTO-2020-12-20-17-06-15.jpg

Ok after a few hours of confusion, I've realised that I could only post images via link in a conversation whereas in a thread that is not in a conversation I can upload via downloads. Here is my 33 gallon fully stocked. Also can anyone tell me what the plant is in the back left?
View attachment 125119
The plant in the back left is elodea densa aka Anacharis ?

Most reactions

Back