Are Powerheads/wave Makers Good?

rob_cool1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 620t which is 2ft tall and the water flow is near non existent at the bottom of the tank which is killing my plants etc, I was looking at the wave makers that are used in marine tanks and wondered if a 3000l/h wave maker would be the answer? I don't want anything too powerful though, just something that keeps a flow at the bottom for the plants.

cheers

I would start with one and see how it works. I use two 12,000 lph wave pumps in my 400 ltr, on pointed toward the surface, one pointed straight across the center.

I wouldnt bother with a wavemaker, a powerhead I definately would though!

I had a 620T for years and it was a nightmare, I will definately never own a tall tank again in a hurry!

I like the Seio 250 powerhead, it fixes to the glass via a magnet and is really flexible as to where you angle it.

Or... you could add an internal filter :) acts as powerhead moving the water with the benefit of also being a filter :p on my 300+ liter tank thats really heavily planted, i have a huge external filter rated for 600L that rarely gets very mucky but because of the plants the flow is really low so added an Aqua100 filter which is really quite small and the ammount of flow it adds has made a massive difference with the bonus of the fact that it takes out more dirt than the external filter does!!

Thanks, yeah I had a look at internal filters but I think the one that comes with the tanks quite good :/ it was this u was looking at
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=300686755874&index=5&nav=SEARCH&nid=44537019751

I want it to be cheap as I can't really spend much :/

cheers for the help :)

Thanks, yeah I had a look at internal filters but I think the one that comes with the tanks quite good :/ it was this u was looking at
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=300686755874&index=5&nav=SEARCH&nid=44537019751

I want it to be cheap as I can't really spend much :/

cheers for the help :)
That's what I was speaking of.

would it be ok with angels? i know they dont like a big current to swim against, so would 3000L/h be ok? the standard powerhead for the filter is 550L/h

:)

I had the same problem with my 980 Tall,I purchased an Aquaone 1500 ltrs per hr wave maker and put it up at the outlet side of the tank r/hand side and have it about 1/4 of the way down,tilting the head towards the back wall.

I found it great to get that slight flow through the tank.

I was going to put a 3000 ltr per hr one in but was worried it would give me too much flow,I found this particular wave maker,very quite.

Sticks onto the glass via rubber suction cup,then you flick the lever down on the mounting cup to give it that extra suction.

Most reactions

Back