Are Neon Tetras aggressive?

Kryten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a little shoal of six neon tetras in a 20 gallon tank. When I added them they went everywhere together, i.e. they shoaled all the time

Now, the biggest neon just darts at all the rest to the point where they will now not shoal and spend all their time hiding behind the pump, never daring to venture out.

Will it help if I add some more neon tetras. I want more anyway as they are a beautiful fish, but I would like to know if this will help things, and to help bring the shoal back together, as it was a lovely sight before when they shoaled amongst the plants

The more the merrier,try to keep at least 10 to get a good shoaling affect.If you have the space try combining neons and another species of small tetra like glowlights the combinations look stunning.

I might be adding a handful of glowlights in a few weeks after I have added bottom feeders

The main point is that will adding more neon tetras calm down the currently aggressive ones in the group or will I have to remove the nippy ones and return them from whence they came

Sorry didnt explain my self properly,yes more neons will help,keep at least 10.If you can get 10 glowlights as well. :D

My tank should easily hold ten of each. It is only a 19 gallon tank, but with a betta that seems to gulp air from the surface mostly, and 4 platys, I should not have a problem with this many, as they are so small in comparison

Get some pristella tetras. They're my fave! They are not colorful, but very cute and funny to watch. :D

Jesse

Most reactions

Back