Are my plants ok in my 5 gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
upload_2017-1-15_14-58-45.png
Do my plants look okay? this is my tank that is cycling with the 16 watt 500k flourescent bulb (its a 5 gal do the plants look fine?Or may there be something wrong they are water wisteria

Looks like a little melt. Why not get a higher kelvin?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I couldn't find anything higher than a 5k here....

No melting is the plants way of adjusting to submerged life or your parameters or both. Micro manage photo period. Ive never grown plants under 6500k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I hope you meant to say 5000K, not really 500K? This should work as it has the necessary red for photosynthesis and a bit of blue. If this is 5000K, and a 16w fluroescent tube, you should be OK for light. So the issue is likely nutrient insufficiency. As the tank is cycling, nutrients other than ammonia will likely be minimal. A comprehensive supplement should help.

The size of the tank shouldn't be a problem. And if your light is 5000K and 16 watts the light should be adequate. it might be a nutritional issue. I would try Seachem Flourish comprehensive. It is a very good complete fertilizer and it should Help. You might also want to look at your local water quality report for information on water harness GH and KH. If you have very soft water fertilization might be necessary for good plant growth.

Oh wait I can use my fertilizer while my tank is cycling?I havent just in case but if its safe then hey I WILL DOSE that tank also my plants have stopped melting some still doing it though so im goanna add some flourish if its safe.And its 5000k 16 watt lourescent

I think it it OK to cycle with fertilizer. The nutrients shouldn't interfere with cycling and may actually speed up the process. Note make sure the bottle says comprehensive next to flourish. There are several different Flourish products made by Sachem. Also try and get the smallest bottle you can find. It has a shelf life and will eventually spoil over time. Find a old pill bottle and poor a mall amount for one or two month supply into the pill bottle. Then freeze the rest.

I have had mine open in my room since june it is now january and I dont think it has gone bad yet.

On Flourish comprehensive the bottle says "refrigeration is recommended 3 months after opening". I have seen mold growth in my bottle in about that time frame. Note: i am talking about Flourish comprehensive not Flourish Excel. Comprehensive is a brown fluid. Excel is clear. Other products from other vendors may not have this spoilage issue. In my own experience any complete liquid fertilizer will eventually have mold grow in it. Other brands that may be missing some nutrients may not have this issue.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back