Are My Guppys Pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MewMew42

Fish Herder
Reaction score
We bought 2 new female guppys today and think they may be pregnant
now im not sure on the behaviour of them but they stick to the top edge of the tank together

the both look exactly the same in shape with the dark spot and quite rounded
[it was really hard to take a pic, but here we go]

2vctlcp.jpg

looking at the front of them they seem really reounded and bulbous

yup i think they are....

most are when you buy them tbh.....

Without even seeing a picture or any information other that it is a female guppy, the appropriate answer is always going to be "probably."

I'll make the statement that any (mature) female guppy that has been in the presence of a (mature) male guppy..... IS pregnant for at least the next 4 months..... (at least 4 broods from 1 impregnation)

Thanks a lot guys

I've now bought a little 3gal tank so i can keep an eye on em!

i just hope the female swordtails arent pregnant too!

The fish in the picture do not look like they are very far along in their pregnancy. As many others have already said, any female kept in the presence of a mature male will definitely be pregnant. There is no such thing as a mature virgin livebearer that has been with a mature male live bearer for over 4 hours. Some may be pregnant with their first drop but that is as virgin as they are likely to be.

Unfortunately only guppies and similar fish are sure to be pregnant with a repetition of 28 days. I keep endlers livebearers and the 28 days is very pessimistic. In the case of endlers, the time between drops is only about 23 days. Since they reach sexual maturity in about 6 weeks, you can easily see that the number of endlers from a single pair of original breeders closely approaches infinity in less than a year. This means that endlers livebearers are not at all rare but are only as rare as the number of breeders that you consider to be other local breeders. In my case I have found the endlers hard to get rid of as afults even as I know they they are relatively rare outside of dedicated breeders like me.

Most reactions

trending

Back