Aquatic Frogs

Hi Alanky :)

I don't know why the frogs do that when they aren't trying to mate, but they do. I have 5 of them in a tank together and sometimes they all pile up and grab onto each other that way.

When they do this it is called "clasping" and they do it as part of mating, as well. Perhaps someone else will post with an answer.

___
I have 10 tanks set up right now, but that's today. It varies from day to day. One, a 55 gallon, is a community tank. One 20 gallon has African Clawed Frogs. Two more 20 gallon tanks have assorted corys and the rest (except for one temporary hospital tank) have corys in various sizes from week old fry to about 1" long. Oh, I also have a 1 gallon jar that is home to 2 African Dwarf Frogs. I do love :wub: my little corys!!!!

Mine's living with 3 platies, 2 black tetras and a betta. I wouldn't go so far as to say he viscously attacks any of the other fish, but at feeding time he rams the betta - and the betta looks at him like he couldn't care less hehe

4.jpg

I really want to get an ADF to put in my 10 gallon community tank. What do you feed them? Is there any special care they'll need apart from the other fish?

thank you all so much :kana: :whistle: :hyper: :D I was the one wondering about the frogs. I go alot of information and i really appreciate it. My frog is a dwarf frog. I only have one now the other passed on :byebye: . so now i only have one demon dwarf frog -_- . so did my demon frog eat all my guppy fry or was it my other fish?

i wanted an ADF frog, but australia has very strict quarantine controls and we can't get them here (same goes for puffers)

i think i might have to settle for a cane toad :sick:

Inchworm said:
Hi Alanky :)

I don't know why the frogs do that when they aren't trying to mate, but they do. I have 5 of them in a tank together and sometimes they all pile up and grab onto each other that way.

When they do this it is called "clasping" and they do it as part of mating, as well. Perhaps someone else will post with an answer.

___
I have 10 tanks set up right now, but that's today. It varies from day to day. One, a 55 gallon, is a community tank. One 20 gallon has African Clawed Frogs. Two more 20 gallon tanks have assorted corys and the rest (except for one temporary hospital tank) have corys in various sizes from week old fry to about 1" long. Oh, I also have a 1 gallon jar that is home to 2 African Dwarf Frogs. I do love :wub: my little corys!!!!
perhaps this act is the same as when dogs mount eachother when they arent mateing, like a dominance thing?

Sadly, here in the UK, Albino ACFs are very VERY frequently mislabelled as "Golden Toads" and are sold as COMMUNITY fish!

Good grief, they're NOT for community tanks, they will be community fish for about 6 months, after which they will go on a killing spree!

I keep an ACF called Pinky, an Albino, who again was sold to me as a community fish - luckily, I had set out to buy an ACF knowing full well what went with it - I had a tank prepared just for him at home, and some frozen bloodworm to feed him :)

He's now 2" long and growing rapidly. He'll be needing a new tank soon.

I had a Dwarf Clawed frog before him, called Psycho - so called because he bucked the tren of ADFs being community frogs - he attacked and killed 2 fish without eating them! He died after an escape.

Hi Samage :)

I've never heard them called Golden Toads, but they are often sold for community tanks here, too.

Most often, however, I find that the sales people just don't anything at all about them. I've had to tell so many of them that they had ADFs or ACFs for sale because they couldn't tell them apart and/or didn't even know that they were two different things. :unsure:

The ACFs are not vicious killers as many people seem to think. Rather, they are survivors, and in their natural habitat they must eat everything they can get. Any fish of an appropriate size that swims within their vision is fair game to them. Just watch them jump to catch one; it's a reflex more than a planned attack. It's up to us to learn about them and house them appropriately. It would be so helpful if the sales people were trained, even in the most basic way, about the habits of the creatures they sell. :nod:

I presently have my ACFs in a ten gallon tank, but as soon as possible I'll be getting them back into a 20 gallon. Aside from the usual benefits a larger tank offers them, I'll appreciate that extra height. It's just too hard to clean a 10 gallon without them jumping out. :eek: And they are not even close to being fully grown yet. You might want to keep that in mind when you get him a new tank.

I'm not sure if I should buy a friend for Pinky (many months ago he DID have a pal called The Brain - however, The Brain hogged all of the food and over-ate himself to an early demise.)

If I buy a friend for him, I might end up with the same feeding problems as before, and also I'd have to buy a small frog cos I don't know of anywhere that sells ones mid-size, as Pinky is now. The main problem is that Pinky is at the size where I can't tell if he'd welcome a new little frog, or attempt to eat it...

Also, I've applied for a job at my local garden centre's aquatics section! Tropical, marine and Coldwater tanks here! Joy!

When (of IF) I'm there, first thing I'm gonna do is request permission to move the "Golden Toads" into their own tank, re-label them as "Albino African Clawed Frogs (Xenopus Laevis)" and display some detailed info about the frogs, so that people know how to care for them properly and exactly what they're buying into.

hey samage where abouts in the west midlands are u from???

and whats this shop called?? i need a new one who does a move varied veriety :)

im from stoke...

I'm from the Nuneaton area, and there's 3 shops I go to. Here they are, starting in order from biggest to smallest:

A5 Aquatics
Dobbies garden World, Mancetter
Martin's pet Supplies (Just a few tropicals and some coldwaters here)

You can see my 3 african dwarf frogs on my home page below just look under the 23 litre tank part... :)

Most reactions

Back