Aquascape tips and tricks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JDFish

Reaction score
I want to have a aquascape that provides depth. I have enough substrate to cover the whole aquarium floor with 3+ inches of soil. Can I put bags or sponges under substrate to give it that elevated look?

In a word, no. I'm curious why you use the word soil. You really don't want soil in the aquarium....oh, there's a contingent out there that swears by 'dirt tanks', but I'm just not in that camp. Dirt is messy making replanting a pain and it loses any nutrient value pretty quickly.
I'd suggest sand instead of gravel, Either pool filter sand or play sand. I like pool filter sand because the grain size is more uniform making it 'cleaner' than play sand (although it too must be bucket washed before use). Sand is inert and will require root tabs for heavy root feeders, but it's clean and detritus will not get down under. I would use rocks to create the depth and interest you're looking for. Add a nice piece of driftwood (real or not) and a combination of plants and yer in business... Oh, and it's never really done as after you have it awhile, you'll be looking to make some changes - that's just how it goes.
Good luck and keep posting!
-Mike

e9b20180409101435w.jpg

Last edited:
I meant aquasoils not dirt from my garden haha. I swear I've heard of people putting things under the substrate to increase highth in some areas.

I've seen some youtube videos of people putting lava rock (in aquarium safe bags) under the substrate to create a hill and such. you could always use multiple bags to put in your desired location and make it look like you want. I'm assuming with the aquasoil you will be planting this tank heavily? I prefer playsand myself. It's amazing in my tanks. My cories and bristlenose enjoy it tremendously.

Agree with others that you cannot use anything under the substrate. Rock will be OK (leaving aside the question of mineral hardness here) but this will only serve to "replace" that portion of the substrate, and any substrate added on top will inevitably shift to level out so there is no real value in using rock to elevate a section of substrate.

I also agree that sand is probably the best material, with the provisos that it should never be white (this affects fish) and should be inert (not affecting GH, KH or pH) unless this is needed to raise the hardness/pH for fish requiring this. Play sand is the safest sand, and least expensive. Avoid any "industrial" sand like construction, blasting, etc, as this is angular and sharp and can damage substrate level fish.

As for "aquasoils," some of these may help plants, many do not. And they may affect fish. I won't get into the details, but just say that in most cases they are more trouble than value and best avoided, and unnecessary for plants anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back