Aquarium Sand / Rock Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KevJ87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the process of setting up another tank and I had some questions regarding some items I have found at cheaper prices than pet stores etc.

The issue I am concerned with is that they are not safe or not the same as the other items usually used in their place.

First is the sand, instead of paying 40$ for sand which I think is ridiculous I found some sand at home depot.

This sand is "High Desert Play Sand" instead of the usual nasty play sand it is white and looks pretty good.
549160bd-dcc0-4b5e-8f3f-d4ea491cb3b1_400.jpg

The second question is regarding slate rock, I want to build some nice setups using the slate rock but refuse to pay the 5.99 a piece at petco that would run me 100$ to build anything with.

I found all natural uncovered unsealed slate rock tile at Home Depot, its only 1.49$ per tile and they are large.

My idea was to purchase a bunch of these slate tiles, take them home and than use a hammer and screw driver to chip them up and make them look natural?  This possible? The slate rock is the same as regular slate rock I believe so it shouldn't hurt the fish?

c1921fb4-efce-4a13-b75c-4569ad03a670_65.jpg

I also was wondering what kind of rock at home depot can I use to help stack and make a rock environment with the slate. They have all kinds of rocks but I don't want one that will endanger the aquarium. 

If anyone have any other tips or idea's for cheap sand that is either white or black please inform me, or a place to get slate rock cheap.

Hi,
I use play sand in my aquarium...
I'm not familiar with that brand but if it's meant for children then it's non toxic and should also be fine to use in the tank. ... Just rinse it a lot to et rid of the dirt and debris.

Regarding the slate if you choose to break it up yourself then make sure you don't leave any sharp edges so the fish can't Injure themselves.

Your Home Depot must be the equivalent of our home base, and I use the rocks there for my aquarium set up it is so much cheaper, Idont know how some fish pet shops get away with selling products at their prices!
Just make sure you wash everything, :)

I was told play sand is silica and henceforth not ok to use in the fish tank and not to mention it has been proven to cause cancer so placing it in a heated aquarium can be dangerous? The only play sand that is Carbonate is no longer made I am told it was called south something. I am not sure if High Desert play sand is all silicate it says on the back it may contain some so I am not sure.

I cant comment on the sand as I dont know that brand - maybe try typing in the store name and aquarium use into google and see if anything comes up? Usually though if its child safe and non toxic it means that it should be ok but I would try and read around if you can.

As for the rocks, I would be worried about specifically breaking rocks as fish can bash them selves and slate is sharp. You can however find slate at garden centres in the UK I can get them for between £1 - £2 each - you could also just go out gathering from the garden. Any rocks you find that dont fizz under vinegar are generally ok :) I know some people go foraging on beaches and in lakes but its a bit naughty in some places so its sort of upto you. The vinegar is a great test though so make sure you do it before you add to the tank!

Wills

I have heard two different things, fizz = good and fizz = bad. I think it might be in regards to salt water vs fresh. So if it fizz that means it is good for salt water for helping up the ph and for fresh you want a 7.2 -> 7.8 ph with guppies so fizz = bad?

I can't see the slate I make ( by chipping tiles ) being any sharper than the slate sold by the pet store and garden centers? 

Also i have a question about crafting Styrofoam, i bought a piece of hard porous  Styrofoam from craft store its a cube was wondering if this could be used in a DIY sponge type filter, its just as porous as the best of them?

Most commercial play sand will be okay. I had to rinse mine over and over until I got clean water. If you don't rinse it. Good luck. Put it in a 5 gallon bucket and start running water through it. It is going to take a while. Stir it with your hand and make sure you are getting all the way to the bottom. I did mine in parts because the whole thing would fill the bucket.

I also agree that picking up slate or shale outside your house and then washing it very well is just as good of an option.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back