Appropriate Ich Meds/tx For Sensitive Tank

simonero

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

My BGK has some nasty ich that went undetected for who-knows-how-long because I cannot see it when he is in his favorite spot or eating.  I'm guessing that the higher activity level preceding my noticing it is not a good sign.  In this freshwater tank I also have a tiny loach, apple snails, mystery snails, guppies, guppy fry, and *maybe* ghost shrimp (hard to tell if something you can't see is still there!...)

I am going to begin raising the temperature 1-2 degrees over the next day or two, BUT because of the snails i don't want to go much higher than 80-81 max.  It will cook them.  (I've actually had that happen before, after cat-proofing a snail tank with a partial cover and moving it into a slightly warmer room)

My google research has indicated that basically all meds are dangerous for my scaleless fish.  From what I gather, the best/safest option is a partial dosage of a malachite green based ich med (as opposed to salt or copper).  And, of course, do a partial water change daily with my gravel vac.  And add bubbles.

My Qs are:
(1)  Does this sound right?  Is this the best option?  I don't want to do anything with a high chance of risking my BGK.  I've had him for years and I love him.  
wub.png

(2)  If so, is the API Liquid Super Ich Cure an OK bet?  (If not, why?)  Do you recommend 1/2 or 1/4 dosage?  The bottle says 48hrs between dosing - do you agree (given the partial dose), and over how many days before I should stop and/or try something different?  (like setting up a make-shift snail tank so I can raise the temp more)
(3)  Any other advice?

Thank you!!!

I don't have knifefish, but I do have several scaleless fish, and have used natural remedies like Pimafix with some success, though they don't work on Ich as quickly as most Ich cures.

I thought I'd update because I didn't get many responses.  Also, for the record, I have a well-established 20gal long with one 30g Aquaclear filter and a small whisper filter.  No plants.  Sand substrate.

I ended up using API Ick Cure (bought off Amazon).  2 days before this I upped the temp slightly to ~79-80 and added lots of bubbles/aeration.  The day I added the meds I upped it to ~80-82 & removed the carbon from my main filter.  I put in only a small portion of the indicated dose (.25-5ml total) and voila, 48 hours later it is gone!  It took the full time to completely go away.  I monitored this easily by looking at my BGK - the contrast makes it very visible.  Added new carbon & new biomax to filter (biomax was removed before the Ick meds for an irrelevant reason).  Current water parameters as of last night are 7.2 pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite.

Woohoo!  None of my fish died or suffered visibly, and my tank is back to normal despite the temperature and filtration changes.

Most reactions

Back