API test

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishBearer9845

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello
Currently using the API master kit which, from the outset I genuinely believe is brilliant.
However, Iā€™m new to using Seachem prime and these are my ammonia readings for exactly the same water (the water in the tank after doing a WC of 30l and 20l respectively, after ammonia levels were still present)
How is it possible to have the results in the photo and which result will be correct? Also, my tank is 60l however with substrate, decorations and space at the top it is probably only reaching 50l.
The green sample is the first sample, the two paler yellows/slight green is 2nd (far left) and last one, middle. The one without a lid did get mixed with a lid, I just used the lid for the 2nd and 3rd tests as my others have nitrates in.

Also, after using Terra Aquasafe, I feel Iā€™m not putting enough Prime in. Even though Iā€™m working out the pro rata of it. Paranoia?
Thank you

Attachments

• C4B998A7-7AB9-47B0-8EA4-D517C86E600B.jpeg
    C4B998A7-7AB9-47B0-8EA4-D517C86E600B.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
On the back of the little book that comes with the test kit there should be a graph indicating results. All you have to do is find what you are testing and match the colors!

Ah yes,
Sorry if there is any confusion. My point was that this is exactly the same water but itā€™s all tested differently. Essentially I have 1.0ppm or 0 for exactly the same water batch but which do I go by?

Ah yes,
Sorry if there is any confusion. My point was that this is exactly the same water but itā€™s all tested differently. Essentially I have 1.0ppm or 0 for exactly the same water batch but which do I go by?
Oh, I would go with the 1.0 ppm to be on the safe side, but definitely get a second opinion.

I am afraid I cannot follow post #1 at all. A few clarifications may help us.

First, have you tested the tap water on its own for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Do they add chloramine to your tap water, or just chlorine?
Never use a cap from one test on a tube of a different water sample unless you thoroughly rinse the cap.

I am afraid I cannot follow post #1 at all. A few clarifications may help us.

First, have you tested the tap water on its own for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Do they add chloramine to your tap water, or just chlorine?
Never use a cap from one test on a tube of a different water sample unless you thoroughly rinse the cap.
My bad, sorry for the misinformation. :dunno:

You didn't necessarily give misinformation. I am not certain of the actual issue, post #1 has me confused. The OP needs to provide more info so we can hopefully help.
Ah I see, arigato!

Also confused.

I believe OP is confused to why there is an ammonia reading when he's dosing prime. Prime will detoxify ammonia, but it will still show on test results.

I can't really follow it, but from what I'm getting, there has been 3 ammonia tests done 1 before water change and 2 after? I have no idea what the time frame is or what test goes along with each set of water changes.

I know you mentioned it is the same water with different results, but if you have done a water change and filled with fresh water, this is not the "same" water.

Hello all
Apologies for the confusion, I was in a bit of a panic
I have a 60L tank, however with sand substrate, decorations and live plants it is more like 50L water
I change my water when I return home from work.
My pre-change test was:

PH 8.2 (trying my best to lower)
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 5.0

I then changed 30L of water using prime measured in a medical syringe for pro-rata (?) accuracy.
My test results after this 30L change were
P.H 8.0
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I then changed 20L of water using prime measured again with a medical syringe for accuracy
I didn't test the Nitrate and Nitrite as they were reading 0 on the last test but then this is where the ammonia test threw me. I did 3 ammonia tests in total.

This is where the picture comes in. They ARE from exactly the same 'vat' of water. All three taken from the tank one after the other (5 mins approx in between)
In the picture, the first test is the tube on the right (green) which threw me as it is quite obviously green!
The second test is the one on the left.
The third test is the one in the middle

Is Seachem Prime notorius for providing a false positive? I hadn't let the tank sit for 20 mins or so after doing the tests, where as I usually do.

I've tested my tap water this morning and it is reading at 0.25.
Sorry for the confusion and I hope this now makes sense! To add, I have always been using Tetra Aquasafe but with the amount of water changes I am doing (shoot me later for the fish in cycle but I am trying my best) I was getting through it at a rate of knots and prime got such rave reviews and value for money.

Attachments

• shots.jpg
    shots.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I cannot explain the different results, but I will offer a couple suggestions.

With fish in the tank during the initial cycling, as it seems to be here, you need to be doing daily water changes of 60-80%. One per day until ammonia and nitrite are zero consecutive days [I'll come back to the ammonia]. Use Prime, but only the amount needed for the water actually changed, best estimate.

Do they add chloramine to your tap water, or just chlorine? Chloramine has ammonia and can show up in tests.

Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24-36 hours, but if either is present it will still show in tests as "ammonia" or "nitrite." Given Prime's effectiveness for only 24-36 hours, each day you test and change, accordingly.

To keep ammonia/nitrite low, feed less often (alternate days, or only two or three times a week is sufficient), and feed sparingly. What goes in must come out.

Faster growing plants, and floating plants are excellent here, will help keep ammonia/nitrite at zero.

Thank you so much Byron!
This is the Chloramine/Clorine information I've found for the area I live in
The average chlorine concentration for this Public Water Supply Zone from January 2020 to March 2020 was 0.4 milligrammes per litre free chlorine and 0.520 milligrammes per litre total chlorine. This drinking water supply is not chloraminated.

Thank you so much Byron!
This is the Chloramine/Clorine information I've found for the area I live in
The average chlorine concentration for this Public Water Supply Zone from January 2020 to March 2020 was 0.4 milligrammes per litre free chlorine and 0.520 milligrammes per litre total chlorine. This drinking water supply is not chloraminated.

OK, it is worth knowing this because chloramine can often result in very low ammonia readings.

Hi @FishBearer9845, when i test my water to make sure levels are good i get to pieces of kitchen towel and i've cut the colour code off the back i lie it down on the kitchen roll and put the tubes on the end in good light, leave them for the time stated and just looked across.
Example of how i do it and that's for nitrite.

Attachments

• IMG-20200730-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200730-WA0002.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 135

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back