Anyone Know What Cichlid This Is ?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kubora666

Fish Addict
Reaction score
emerald.jpg

anybody care to enlighten me as to what this fish is... the lfs were baffeled, hes large and friendly and loves to eat, and also clever like an oscar. could one of you guys find out what he is as i really dont know and would like to.
many thanks to those who help :)

I dunno, he's kinda reminding me of a Flower Horn, but I really don't think that's it.

nope not a flowerhorn. it has the basic characteristics of the aquidens family and some of the cichlasoma too but its unlike anything ive seen. its very likely a hybrid anyway. and a good example of why hybrids can be a problem in the hobby when sold as "unknown" is it aggressive towards other fish? its very nice anyway

Chocolate cichlid or something similar?

Wow! I really like the look of that fish! I'm not really sure what it is but it does look alot like the Chocolate Cichlid that Dwarf Dude posted.

it is about 7" he was sold to me for £6.00 because they had no idea what he was...
he IS NOT a chocolate cichlid, they ahd some there and they were brown and had longer fins lol.
he is teritorial but not aggressive, a beautifull fish, and has large white teeth growing on his upper lip...
i am so confused as to what he is :S

does anyone own a fish like this ?
is it most likely a hybrid ? and how big SHOULD i expect him to get ?

it is about 7" he was sold to me for £6.00 because they had no idea what he was...
he IS NOT a chocolate cichlid, they ahd some there and they were brown and had longer fins lol.
he is teritorial but not aggressive, a beautifull fish, and has large white teeth growing on his upper lip...
i am so confused as to what he is :S

does anyone own a fish like this ?
is it most likely a hybrid ? and how big SHOULD i expect him to get ?

I think he is a "chocolate cichlid" - Hypselecara temporalis as is mentioned above and he should get to 12" & be similar to an Oscar in character.
Several other species are also known as "chocolate cichlid" - some are the same genus & some are not.
A quick google image search for chocolate cichlid will bring up lots of pictures including fish like the ones your LFS has.

a chocolate cichlid? you guys must be joking! far too many characteristics missing. shape and fins are all wrong even if its a female. its nearer a synspillum that a choco

a chocolate cichlid? you guys must be joking! far too many characteristics missing. shape and fins are all wrong even if its a female. its nearer a synspillum that a choco

Cichlasoma synspilum

Hypselecara temporalis

Vieja synspilum

i definitely see more of the H. temporalis than i do the C. synspilum or the V. synspilum

--EDIT I--

one important thing to note is that the fish in question has red eyes--that could be an easy way to narrow down the possibilities.

--EDIT II--
:drool: dig those red synspilums; teh sexy!

Most reactions

Back