Anyone know what assorted africans might be?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nope, I dont. I guessed cichlids also since i see no other african breeds. But there are seperate tanks for electric yellows and such. So im not sure, they dont look like cichlids I know. They are multi colors from red, orange to black grey, and white. They are long and narrow. Oh well just thought I'd ask. Thanks anyway.

Tanks labeled like this are almost always Malawi Cichlids. I keep Malawi's but would never buy from a LFS who sells them this way (good ones don't).

Yep, almost deffinately Lake malawi cichlids. However, fish sold as 'assorted africans' are often hybrids or at least unidentified species and you realy must know what the fish you are buying are before getting them and adding them to your tank - especialy when it comes to aggressive and large fish like cichlids.

dont know much bout cichlids but the lfs dude i really trust that got me in to the hobby will not sell them this way and ses they are all muts you never know what you are going to get some times i go to other lfs and they sell them this way and you can see some are slightly deformed and not very healthty looking dut thats just my observation. :look:

Ok i just called and asked and he said they are a mix of cichlids. And that the ones he would suggest out of it are called "frontosa" (sp) . Any comment?

Frontosa are nice fish. They get really big and if you're interested, I'd do some serious research.

Most reactions

trending

Back