Anyone Had Success With Tetras In Hard Water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

awilson360

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In my community tank I have 2 Dwarf Gourami a juvenile BN plec and 4 Panda Corydoras. So far so good, everyone is doing well. I would like to get some schooling fish but I am torn between, well literally everything.

I like Glowlight Danios, Neon Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras.

I could get a maximum of another 8 small fish which would bring me stocking to 100% but I would like some fish that will thrive in my hard alkaline east anglian water. My pH is 8, 8.2 out of the tap and GH is about 30 mg/L.

From what I understand Neon Tetras don't like hard water?

Thanks,
AW

Congo or Yellowtail Congo Tetra would certainly fit the bill for starters ;)

Just about to say my congos thrive in those conditions :D

Thanks for the recommendation but my tank is only a 24 x 12 x 15, i.e. just over 15g so I couldn't fit in Congo Tetras :S

AW

aqustockimagephp.png

Well I can only speak with 3wks experience on this one, but my Ph is 8.2 and at the moment (and I stress it's only been 3wks) they are absolutely thriving. They have a lovely strong colour and seem really happy. If id known my ph was naturally that high I probably wouldn't have bought them. My ph from the tap is 7.4 so thought it would be ok, but after leaving the water to stand for two days I got my true ph reading of 8.2. I didn't know this was my true reading until the fish had been added, but, they are doing fantastic at the moment regardless. Time will tell.

The water is pretty hard in my area and yet my neons and harlequins are doing really well. :)

Thanks for the recommendation but my tank is only a 24 x 12 x 15, i.e. just over 15g so I couldn't fit in Congo Tetras :S

AW

aqustockimagephp.png
I would up the pandas to 8 first they do better in bigger groups IME. I have fairly hard water and have kept glowlight, neon, serpae, black widow, x ray, flame and black neons with no problems at all.

AW

aqustockimagephp.png
I would up the pandas to 8 first they do better in bigger groups IME. I have fairly hard water and have kept glowlight, neon, serpae, black widow, x ray, flame and black neons with no problems at all.

I bought 2 more Panda Corydoras a couple of weeks ago from P@H, they were the last two left and they literally died within hours of introduction into my tank. No idea what did it but everyone else in the tank was fine, that has kind of put me off getting more Corydoras just in case the same thing happens again!

Maybe I'll get a couple more Pandas and 6 Neon Tetras, would prefer Black Neons but haven't seen any around here! That should bring me up to 101% stocking.

AW

I had a school of lemon tetras in similar water that would even spawn every once in a while (I wasn't even trying to get them to spawn). There are a few rivers in the Amazonian basin that aren't super acidic and soft. Lemon tetras come from the Tapajós River. Do a little research and you'll find a large number of tetras that will be fine in not-typical Amazonian waters.

I had a school of lemon tetras in similar water that would even spawn every once in a while (I wasn't even trying to get them to spawn). There are a few rivers in the Amazonian basin that aren't super acidic and soft. Lemon tetras come from the Tapajós River. Do a little research and you'll find a large number of tetras that will be fine in not-typical Amazonian waters.

Wow first time I've seen Lemon Tetras, they look great! It's a hard decision because they would suit my water much better but they are alot harder to find around here! Would a group of 6 be ok at first?

Thanks,
AW

Sorry to jump on this thread, I just wanted to ask if Lemon Tetras are compatible with most community fish such as danios, cherry barbs, Apistos and GBR`s?

They look really nice and I`d quite like to get some for my 360ltr when I move my fish into it next week.

I live in Lincolnshire and have very ard water. I have neons, cardinal, x-rays and black widows. Have also kept glow lights that have spawned in the tank (although ate the eggs). As long as you introduce them slowly adding a small amount of tank water to the bag every 5 or so minutes after the temps have equalised they should be fine.

i have 10 neon and 4 rummynose tetras in my that sort of water and there all going great!

unfortunately the neon tetras attacked my guppies tails so im getting rid :(

ash

i have 10 neon and 4 rummynose tetras in my that sort of water and there all going great!

unfortunately the neon tetras attacked my guppies tails so im getting rid :(

ash

I'll go take a look at my LFS tomorrow! Will see if they have any Neons or Black Neons! Just curious would they school together?

AW

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back