Anyone Changed Or Modified Fx 5 Or Fx6 Outlet

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

jamesmacc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hello,
recently fitted my new fx6 to my 4.5 foot tank and im not overly impressed with the flow and surface movement , the original outlet seems to let out a a slow and wide spread flow and doesn't point to the surface very well as there is limited movement in the end bits Ā . I seen a video on youtube of someone who had fitted duckbeak type ends that focused the flow more and it really agitated the surface and caused a great flow.Ā 
i wondered if anyone else had done something similar on here ?
Ā 
cheers
james

I have an Fx6 in a five foot tank using the standard twin outlets. I had the oppisite problem in that there was too much flow causing the fish to hide behind rocks and plants to get a rest. I made a spray bar but that made it worse. I found that if you get the outlet closer to the surface of the water (so as the water is level with the top of the rubber connector)Ā and aim both nozzles up the ripples itĀ makes about a 2.5Ā  to 3Ā cm rippleĀ directly the outlet and it noticeably travels about 90cm across the surface of the water.
Ā 
I also found that putting additional filter material in the canisterĀ can restrict the flow a bit as can the valves on top of the canister not being fully open, but I'm sure you have thought of that.
Ā 
Sorry its not directly answering your question but the fx6 is a fairly high output unit and it should work adequately without modification.

Seanthebusdriver said:
I have an Fx6 in a five foot tank using the standard twin outlets. I had the oppisite problem in that there was too much flow causing the fish to hide behind rocks and plants to get a rest. I made a spray bar but that made it worse. I found that if you get the outlet closer to the surface of the water (so as the water is level with the top of the rubber connector)Ā and aim both nozzles up the ripples itĀ makes about a 2.5Ā  to 3Ā cm rippleĀ directly the outlet and it noticeably travels about 90cm across the surface of the water.
Ā 
I also found that putting additional filter material in the canisterĀ can restrict the flow a bit as can the valves on top of the canister not being fully open, but I'm sure you have thought of that.
Ā 
Sorry its not directly answering your question but the fx6 is a fairly high output unit and it should work adequately without modification.
hi sean thanks for the comment, i dont have fish in yet so cant actually comment on the flow rate affecting fish. I ran 2 externals on my malawi tank to cope wth the overstocking so maybe im used to a bit to much flow . what size of spray bar did you use ? do you find the substrate gets dirty if you have both the outlets pointing to the top ? i ideally want the whole surface to ripple quite a lot as i find it looks good and stops any debris settling on top, i could fit a power head to i guess to give it some extra coverage . ive also heard of people removing the twin outlet and fitting a single 3/4" one which gave a but more pressureĀ 

The spray bar was the complete length of the tank using a 22.5mm capped overflow pipe. I experimented with the number and size of the holes drilled until I got an even flow across the top and down the back of the tank.
Ā 
I'm surprised you could understand my previous response, I read it back to myself and I didn't have a clue what I was on about
fish.gif
Ā 

Seanthebusdriver said:
The spray bar was the complete length of the tank using a 22.5mm capped overflow pipe. I experimented with the number and size of the holes drilled until I got an even flow across the top and down the back of the tank.
Ā 
I'm surprised you could understand my previous response, I read it back to myself and I didn't have a clue what I was on about
fish.gif
Ā 
Haha i made sense of it, it was monday so ill let you off. what was the size and spacing if you dont mind me asking, I have loads of pipe left over so i might knock one up and see how it fares compared to the standard fx6 outlet . i would like the whole surface to have a good ripple about it if possibleĀ 

2 rows about 10 cm apart on oppisite sides of the tube. I used a 10mm drill bit andĀ don't forget an end cap. A 90 degree bend fits into the rubber outflow without the need for glue.You can buy the right size suction cups from Amazon for less than 2 quid for 10.
Ā 
It's a trial and improvement exercise. I think I made about half a dozen extra holes before I got the strength of the flow about right, however, for my setup I was just as happy with the stock Fx6 setup so I changed it back.
Ā 
There are a few videos on youtube that maybe helpful.

Most reactions

Back