Anybody have a pic of a platy birthing tube??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mamaorca77

Reaction score
I have female platies n guppies and am 95+% sure that all but 1 is pregnant. The 1 I'm unsure of was brought home today, because MamaOrca is a sucker for an animal in need! I had promised my sons some snails to live with their goldfish (until I can afford a suitable cichlid tank, what they really want!) and was needing supplies, so off to the lps I go. They had 1 black mystery snail left, and as the lady was bagging him, I was casually looking over their platies..when I saw them. The most beautiful female MM I've seen in a while, and next to her, bless her heart, a HUGELY pregnant golden comet (I think!). Poor girl was in a bare tank with about 30 other fish and no cover and was getting chased. The MM was doing her best to protect her, but badly out numbered. So..Haley (comet) and Minnie came with the snail..Vader. 5 hours later she is much happier and a feisty little lady! But, as I said she is pretty big and looking at her closely I THINK I see a birthing tube. The more accustomed to the tank she has gotten, the more I've noticed her hanging out in my plants, so I'm thinking it won't be long now. We did a little house swapping last night, so I have a nursery tank ready for fry, but I get up at 230am for work and know they give birth usually at night. I'm hoping I catch it and get at least some of the fry to safety before work, so I wondered if any of you have a reference pic to let me know if I'm seeing what i think I'm seeing, as I am new to live bearers. Oh, and any advice on how to keep from bringing all the charity cases home would be awesome, or I'm gonna have a zoo/aquarium instead of a house soon! Lol

Best pic I can get..she's camera shy

Attachments

• 20180611_184257.jpg
    20180611_184257.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 365
livebearers don't have a birthing tube. I have provided a youtube link to a female platy giving birth.

Good to know! This is a great learning experience! Thanks again Colin, you've been a HUGE help in getting me up to speed on my new fish kids!

Most reactions

trending

Back