Any Rocks Safe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey! So I am planning a betta tank. It is an 8 US gallon hexagon tank. I want to put rocks from my garden in there. Can I put any rocks in there?

When I asked about rocks for my oto, the reply was those rocks are fine, but first pour boiling water all over them to get them clean. 

I have washed them well and plan on washing them again in hot water. Will it change the water's PH?

As long as they have no metallic veins in them, all rocks are 'safe', but some can raise the hardness and pH of your water.

You can test them by putting some vinegar on them (actually rust remover is a better tester than vinegar, if you have a dad/brother/uncle who has that sort of thing about, but vinegar will do); if the rock fizzes or bubbles where the vinegar is, that means they will affect your pH and hardness.

fluttermoth said:
As long as they have no metallic veins in them, all rocks are 'safe', but some can raise the hardness and pH of your water.

You can test them by putting some vinegar on them (actually rust remover is a better tester than vinegar, if you have a dad/brother/uncle who has that sort of thing about, but vinegar will do); if the rock fizzes or bubbles where the vinegar is, that means they will affect your pH and hardness.
what are metallic veins?

Some rocks have lines ('veins'), or lumps, of crystals that look like glitter or gold or silver embedded in them. Those crystals have metals in them that can dissolve and make the water poisonous.

If any of your rocks have metal looking crystals in them, don't put them in your tank
smile.png

Is there any way to test that and see if it will make the water poisonous? 

fluttermoth said:
Some rocks have lines ('veins'), or lumps, of crystals that look like glitter or gold or silver embedded in them. Those crystals have metals in them that can dissolve and make the water poisonous.

If any of your rocks have metal looking crystals in them, don't put them in your tank
smile.png

I don't think there is, no.

Best to just avoid anything that looks like metal.

Lime stone is bad for raising pH, (And for me living in Canada it's a 50/50 chance any rock I pick up will be limestone :p)

Like said before, vinegar has always worked for me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back