any natural souces of ammonia

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

seantheprawn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so guys, are there any easy to find, reliable 'natural sources of ammonia?

any help would be great

and alos another thing ive wondered, do u have to add the bacteria to begin cycling, or does it grow out of knowere?

any help would be great

cheers

I believe real plants have all the natural bacteria in them to start a cycle, but am not too sure about that.

I started my cycle by putting in fish flakes (just a few depending on the size of your tank) once a day every day for four days, and then I left it alone for two weeks. I also had real plants in the tank too.

after two weeks my tank was cycled. I just checked the readings every day.

hope that helps.

The bacteria come from airborne spores and the surrounding environment. Bacteria are everywhere in nature and it's only a matter of time before the right type of bacteria find your ammonia filled tank and decide that they have found the bacteria version of eden and settle down.
As for natural ammonia, the only source I can think of at the mo' is urine! :sick:

WK

Bacteria grows out of no where. ( well I guess it comes from some where. I think it comes from the air as well)

Urine is about as natural as you can get when it comes to ammonia. :rofl:

Seriously, if you wanted you could pour lots of food into the tank and as it breaks down ammonia will form. You could go to your local Piggly Wiggly and pick up a bottle of "clear" and "pure" ammonia. Even if it says clear, but says its a cleaner, don't get it!

Most reactions

Back