Any Divers Here?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No offence, but I don't wanna see your ugly mug, where's pics of Nina ;)

Failing that, what about more pics of the blonde over your right shoulder?

Arfie

Here's one of both of us in Church:

n671901955_167877_1670.jpg

Happy now? ;)

Sorry Andy, I missed this. Much happier, even more so if you weren't in it :p She looks stunning and you're a lucky man :)

Anyway, thread back on track

I'm off diving this weekend, need to get some salt on my kit, so I'm off to Wales (there's loveley boyo and all that! :rolleyes: )

If the winds allow I will be going to Trefor Peir again, which is a nice relaxed 6m dive with loads of life under it and a small reef off the end and another off to one side. Last time we saw HUUUUUUUUGE spider crabs, dogfish, prawns and this fella
P1010021.jpg

If we do go there we'll only get one dive in as it really needs to be dived at high tide so we will try and get over 90 mins, pushing for 2 hours underwater which will be difficult as we'd seen most of it after 35 mins last time, but I know how to work my camera now, so I might spend loads of time bothering the wildlife.

If the wind remains from the south though, it will be undivable so we'll probably head up to the north side of Anglesey for either a shore dive or see if we can jump on a boat dive :)

I also picked up leaflets from SDS last night, I think I might redo my expired EFR and finally book into the Rescue Diver course. I think after I've done rescue diver, I'll crossover to BSAC as it seems a bit more thorough. I am picking up a full set of BSAC manuals on Saturday, so I'll have something to read while in the chamber ;)

Anyone else getting wet?

Arfie

If you get the PADI rescue diver I think you can come in at Sports Diver in BSAC, though you will have to decompression dives training as PADI don't do any deco dives (how on earth do they plan to get below 50 metres without deco? ;) )

I am not sure what the prices are your way, but my first year's membership (including 6 months kit hire if needed and 1hour per week in the pool and all training) cost about £250. That would be about enough to take someone from novice to SD.

Looking at most PADI courses, it costs a fair amount to learn up to Rescue Diver level, so it may be cheaper to just do BSAC SD training.

I want to do rescue diver anyway and from what I understand with PADI Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver I can do straight swap over to Sport Diver.

Not sure what clubs are like around here, my PADI one also used to be BSAC but they binned BSAC and I hear the other Chesterfield branch are in a bit of financial bother. I will make further enquiries about clubs when I'm ready.

Arfie

Anyone else still brave (stooopid) enough to still be diving in UK?

I was in Stoney last week and it was a positively balmy 10C. Took a nice swim over to The Galleon which is where Tichmarsh was with the film of pike breeding :blink: lovely dive to be fair :good: No silt, about 15M viz, loads of pondweed and a few very chilled out pike.

I'll be diving there again on xmas eve and again on 12/13 Jan on the "freeze your nuts off" event held by Yorkshire Divers. As far as I can tell there are over 40 going and I seem to be the only one in a wetsuit :rolleyes:

Arfie

I haven't been in for a while. I would like to but just haven't had the time recently. I may look into a dive near the Xmas period. I want to get in the sea around here, but the wind picks up in winter...

Well, after visiting my club last night, it looks like I am going on 28 December to Stoney Cold for a bimble around. After that I will porbably try and get some sea diving in as the sea doesn't get as cold as inland lakes.

It'll be lovely, if you're lucky there wont have been any trainees in, if there have, it'll be useful for practicing navigation ;)

What's the sea temps like at the moment? I've not been looking as I don't fancy planning a trip only to have it blown out by bad weather, but I do intend getting more salt on my kit next year.

Arfie

It'll be lovely, if you're lucky there wont have been any trainees in, if there have, it'll be useful for practicing navigation ;)

What's the sea temps like at the moment? I've not been looking as I don't fancy planning a trip only to have it blown out by bad weather, but I do intend getting more salt on my kit next year.

Arfie
A nice and warm 12 degrees in the channel at the 7:02 this morn (from here)

:eek: 12C??? I'll be diggin the shortie out ;)

Just been checking up on the local BSAC club and I may well pop and see them this week, even if I don't crossover just yet, I might go along on club trips etc.

Arfie

:eek: 12C??? I'll be diggin the shortie out ;)

Just been checking up on the local BSAC club and I may well pop and see them this week, even if I don't crossover just yet, I might go along on club trips etc.

Arfie
You don't truly "cross over".

If you join the club you can then dive with them using your PADI qualifications so long as the Dive Marshall/Manager is happy (most will be). The cross over occurs when it comes to you furthering your training. Your PADI quals will give you a statement of alternative training which will allow you to start your BSAC training at a higher amount.

There is nothing at all to stop you joining and just diving with the club.

Yeah, I realise that.

I've contacted the local club to ask their thoughts as I have been informed that some clubs will only let PADI AOW dive to Ocean Diver depths where others will let you dive to your current qualification.

I'm also interested in knowing what sort of diving they do on their club trips as I have absolutely no interest in deep dives/wreck diving or deco diving (at the moment ;) ) and if they mainly head off to do 40-50m deep wreck dives then it's not gonna be for me as I'm basically a holiday diver who enjoys diving in the UK, not a limit pusher or explorer.

Arfie

Well they are more than happy for me and buddy to go and just dive and to the limits of our current padi qualifications, though he had to check with bsac hq.

Buddy has been away and got back last night and we chatted about it, he's got permission from SWMBO and we're off to see them in the new year.

As the annual membership is less than the padi RD course, I can see me abandoning my original plans to do that then crossover.

Arfie

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back