any catfish that wont get affected by salt

well the problem is i already added salt and salt only goes away with water changes. I just want to know if there is a species of catfish that isn't affected. Anna is sorta right. I'm going to add some pineapple swordtails.

I think the answer is there aren't any (or at least I couldn't find any on Planet Catfish). But if you've got a fairly spacious tank (at least 30 gals), Siamese Algae Eaters are a good alternative, and they can cope with a little salt.

thanks anna even though i pretty much knew that. I just got a male swordtail, a male platy, and a black female molly.

I hear that many livebarers dont actually NEED salt. So you may be ok haveing a plec etc and livebarers by just not adding salt (and letting it gradually be removed over water changes before introduction of them). But im not a keeper of the myself so you could ask arounf in the relevent forum to be sure.
all the best,
C

the only catfish that needs salt that i'm aware of is the shark catfish, but these could grow to 18" so would need a big tank to themselfs.

Well i have placed some salt in my tank and most of my catfish did not mind at all
They are the fallowing:
four line catfish (not actual name that i know of)
bumble catfish
rapheal cat
whiptail cat
upside down cat
syndontus euruptus (feather fin cat)
bristlenose pleco
clown pleco
and more just gotta remember them.

Just don't place salt in with loaches...... my loaches acted like they wanted to kill me after i placed some salt in the tank.
So in the long run most catfish sould not mind salt at all....

Damien

i always put about two tablespoons of salt in my tank with every water change......
and most of my fish "won't tolerate it".

i have a candy tetra, a black fin hi skirt tetra, an emerald green cory, 2 otocinclus cats, and albino cory, and an upside down cat. they dont seem to mind salt at all....

Just don't place salt in with loaches...... my loaches acted like they wanted to kill me after i placed some salt in the tank.
So in the long run most catfish sould not mind salt at all....
I disagree with you there salt is for salt water fish only not catfish they do not have scales and can not tolerate salt, for al those who put salt in the tanks with corys and such, i hop eyou can understand the following and read the topic that is pinned SALT! They do dnot need salt , this is very easy

for example

fresh = fresh water fish (fresh not salty)
Tropical = Tropical water fish ( no salt)
Brackish = Brackish water fish( contains some salt)
Marine = Marine fish ( contains salt)

I am sorry for sounding rude, i am also sorry to hear if people have deaths in their tanks after not reading or searching for the correct infomation and habitat for their fish. I apologise if i have hurt feelings this is not my intention!

once again ! for all those who want to add salt do so at your own risk if you have a problem after dont say we never treid to say!

Oh ur not being rude at all, its just that alot, and i mean alot of pet stores say to use salt and raise the temp. to rid ick, thats y im guessing most ppl here ask if they should use salt in there tank.

Damien

thanxs nice to see someone got the rite end of the stick! :D ( no sarcasm intented

Most reactions

Back