another SD ?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

longhorn13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
what size tank should silver dollars be kept in? someone posted earlier that they should be kept in a group of 5 or so...would a 55 be big enough for that? and what area of the tank do they usually occupy? thanks for any feedback

How long are you going to keep them? I suggest until they die of natural causes.

If so, they can get to around 6-8" from the random sites I saw on google. If this is true, then I'd say you can't have much else and you should try to plant that tank heavily, regardless of if you want them or not. The plants'd make the tank prettier, less stressful for the fish, and they'd help compensate for the lack of dither fish.

I would suggest that a 55 is to small for 5 SD's. As for plants, SD's will eat them. They are incredible lawn mowers.

The average aquarium size for SDs is around 4 to 5 inch so IMO a group of 5 would fit into a 48x18x18 providing they are the only schooling and middle region dwelling fish in the tank.
Live plants and silver dollars do not mix.

I agree with Drobbins. Silver Dollars will devour the live plants. You should get some fake plants, even though live plants may lower stress levels. You can always just add stress coat solution to the water.

Most reactions

Back