another one bites the dust!

fishywishy

Reaction score
just got back from holiday.. went away for a few days and when i came back 80% of my tetras were dead and everyday more and more of them have died! :( only 4 lamp eyes from teh tetra group have survived... i had a nieghbour come in to feed them but i think he may have gave them WAY too much.... also he didnt turn on the light ( havent got a timer yet) so a lot of the plants are dead...
now i got 1 hell of an ammonia spike.. over 8!!!! so had to go buy some ammo lock! just put some in so hopefully that will work for now...
moral of the story dont go on holiday! :-(

also was wondering do plants help get ride of ammonia?? jsut added 6 more plants...

So sorry to hear about your fish. :grr: to neighbour.

Suggest if you go away again, do what I've read other do and measure out correct amount of food into daily containers (i.e. tablet dispensing containers with mon, tues, wed ....etc on.

With regard to your question as far as I know plants only help to reduce nitrAtes not ammonia.

I don't use ammo lock only ever controlled ammonia with water changes, but best of luck getting that level down for your fish.

Good luck - hope you manage to save the rest

:p

I Feel soooo sorry for you :nod: i cant imagine how ou feel.... stupid neighbour...
ive lost a few fish until my tank had matured and im proud to say to say that i have NEVER tested my tank AT ALL!!
but still next time you should be prepared i mean... get a timer for the light and an automatic feeder or one of those holiday blocks :D that should work....

Its better to under feed the fish then to over feed them... my fish would of lasted a week but just in case i got my bf to do it... he fed them a lil but i think they were glad when i got back :nod:

Anyway... good luck in stabilisin your tank again and wish you well:)

Very sorry for your losses! :rip: A death is a death no matter the fish, and 80% of your fish is a big loss.

It can be hard to find good fish-sitters - my dad left my hood up when I went to Ocean City, and I came back to find my killie dried up behind the dresser :byebye:

GL and hope things go better

Most reactions

Back