Another Cycling Question.

Benthos boy

Reaction score
Hi all.

My tank is now cycling nicely, (I think!). The 4 ppm of ammonia that I'm putting in is being processed in under 12 hours and the nitrIte has dropped back to 0 ppm. Strangely, the nitrAte has also dropped right back to 5 - 10 ppm as well :-(

I raised the ammonia back up to 4 ppm at 8.30 pm tonight so all being well, it should be back to 0 by 8.30 tomorrow morning. Hopefully I should be getting some fishies tomorrow afternoon-ish which I hope to have installed in the tank by late afternoon/early evening.

Question: Will I need to put any ammonia in the tank in the morning to keep the bacteria fed until I get the fishies in, or will it be okay for a few hours?

Thanks in advance.

Martyn.

Hi all.

My tank is now cycling nicely, (I think!). The 4 ppm of ammonia that I'm putting in is being processed in under 12 hours and the nitrIte has dropped back to 0 ppm. Strangely, the nitrAte has also dropped right back to 5 - 10 ppm as well :-(

I raised the ammonia back up to 4 ppm at 8.30 pm tonight so all being well, it should be back to 0 by 8.30 tomorrow morning. Hopefully I should be getting some fishies tomorrow afternoon-ish which I hope to have installed in the tank by late afternoon/early evening.

Question: Will I need to put any ammonia in the tank in the morning to keep the bacteria fed until I get the fishies in, or will it be okay for a few hours?

Thanks in advance.

Martyn.
I think it will be alright. Many here recommend not letting your bacteria go more than 12 hours without food. You could always add some in the morning (say half the amount you usually do). Be sure to do a HUGE water change (90%) a few minutes before adding your fish. Your nitrate levels are most likely toxic.

Let us know how it goes.

Your nitrate levels sound fine, i think it's around 30-40ppm that nitrates start to become toxic. Live plants are a good way of keeping nitrates low.

Most reactions

Back