Angelfish with prolapse!

Ltygress

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have never had this happen before. And even with 40 tanks, and most of those holding angelfish (including her brothers and sisters) this is the only fish with the problem.

What are her chances of survival in general?

So far, she has lasted about 2 weeks in this condition. She is the female of the ONLY pair to form out of my platinum pearlscales. She got a bit plump and was cleaning rocks, so I though maybe gravid and ready to breed. The tube was down for days. The male's tube never dropped. Then EVERYTHING down there just came out!

I don't even know if it's her bowels, reproductive organs, or both. It just looks like a gross pinkish mass where her vent SHOULD be.

Since she has already lasted two weeks without slowing down, should I try to fix it? Maybe push it up and lightly "sew" her body back around it until her scales heal enough to cover it? Do you think fish surgery is in order here?

I am guessing prolapse won't fix itself. And even then, with as much as it seems to be sticking out, hers would be way too big to fix itself anyway. It's enough to match size to the outermost joint of my pinky finger.

Anyone have experience with this issue?

I feel for you : (. A while back my Axolotl did this. It eventually all came out and she was fine, I'm not sure if this was just because Axolotls can regrow body parts or something completly different. Sorry I couldnt offer any more help. Hopefully it gets better soon : ). P.S Im not sure if "sewing" her up is a good idea.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

When my female blue zebra spawned, she also had a prolapsed anus after laying eggs. It didn't last for more than a couple days though. I can't give any more advice other than give it more time....

I only had this with a platy and I just kept the water clean and kept her by herself and it went back in after a week.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back