Angelfish tank size?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mandi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Could I put an angelfish in a 55 gallon tank (48"x13"x20")?

I know height is important for angelfish, and I wasn't sure if 20" high is enough for them. I'm not new to fish-keeping, but I've never kept angels before. There's a shop near me that specializes in breeding angels, though, and they have some beautiful ones, so it seems silly to not take advantage of that. ;)

Also, I'll be starting with a new tank with no fish in it at all, so IF I can keep angels in there, how many could I have, and what other fish would be compatible with them? No livebearers, please -- I've sworn off them after being overrun with platys. :blink: Haha. The only other fish I had in mind were some corys, but any other suggestions would be great.

[edit] This just popped into my head too -- what about loaches (maybe instead of the corys?). I know clown loaches get far to big, but perhaps kuhli loaches or yo-yos? I've never kept loaches at all before, but I've heard they're neat to watch. Opinions?

Angels will do fine in a 55. You could fit 5 or 6 in there, figuring on 1 angel per 10 gallons. Just don't go too heavy on the substrate, as this will reduce your water depth.

Tolak

Thanks! I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 of them.

Any suggestions on tankmates that they'd get along with? (No livebearers!)

Most reactions

Back