Angelfish Swimming Sideways

iroc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I can't tell if this Angelfish I was giving yesterday is sick or not. He/she is swimming kida tilted to the side. It seems to be ok as far as swimming around, eating etc but it stays tilted all the time?

Anyone know what this could be?

Need size of tank in gallons or litres, how many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.
What do you feed your fish.
Does the fish look bloated , and what does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.

Need size of tank in gallons or litres, how many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.
What do you feed your fish.
Does the fish look bloated , and what does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.

the tank is a Planted 55 gal Community tank: 1 Silver Veiltail angel fish, 2 Koi Angel fish, 1 parrot cichlid, 1 green severem cichlid, 1 bistlenose plec, 1 golden gourami

the ammonia is 0
nitrite is 0
nitrate is 20
PH is 7.0

I feed them a mixture of frozen bloodworms, flake and small pellets

I haven't seen it go to the bathroom yet but it does not look bloated

Bad diet of to many frozen foods, and a high protein diet, need a variety of frozen foods and some fish love veg.
Daphnia is very good at digesting the fish food.
Try some shelled peas on the fish to flush it through, cook peas for a few minutes let cool down, pop out of shell, mush between fingers and add to the tank.

Look under feeding.
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/viruses.shtml

My angel goes sideways when its attacking other fish. Also fish orientate toward the brightest light as well, do you notice it more when the lights are off?

Never kept angels black angel but he could improve there diet.

I didn't meation that my tank is fully planted, when reading that link it said that if you don't provide vegie/meat eating fish with some plants or alge they can snack on then you need to add vegies, since my tank has plenty would you say i still need to add peas?

Peas are good for fish it keeps them going to the toilet, its a laxative to fish.

Sounds like a swim bladder problem. Hold off on the bloodworms for a while, and as was suggested, a diet with more veggies. Swim bladder problems are sometimes caused by digestive problems, epsom salt helps to clean out a fish's digestive tract. Start with one teaspoon epsom per 10 gallons, increasing by a teaspoon per 10 gallons daily to 3 teaspoons per 10 gallons.

thanks for all the advice, it seems that the problem has corrected itself since I noticed this moring that the fish was swimming normaly

Most reactions

Back