Angelfish Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LolaLouie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just a couple of things I've been wondering about.

Firstly my zebra angelfish is changing colour, sometimes his stripes are dark black and then other times they are silvery grey. I don't think it's stress or an infection as they can change from 1 second to the next and he is fine in every way. Also it's not related to the light being on or off as he changes through the day. Is this normal? If not any idea what it could be?

Then also my other angelfish won't eat any frozen or live worms. she eats flake and always comes to the top looking for food when I open the lid, she also eats peas and daphnia but when i feed tubifex or bloodworms (live or frozen) she goes for it like she's going to eat it but then just keeps her mouth closed. Any ideas? Does she just not like them?

I know these things aren't anything serious but was just wondering what others thoughts were on them.

angels do change colour particularly the striped ones, it's just them showing their mood so don't worry.

i wouldn't be concerned about the worms either, so long as the fish is getting a good mixed diet and is otherwise healthyit should be fine. I don't think there's anything in worms that they can't get from other forms of food. If they don't like em then they don't like em!

In general what you're seeing is typical cichlid behaviour, think of cichlids like petulant teenagers and expect them to behave accordingly :lol:

Thanks for that, I was beginning to wonder whether I had something wrong with my eyes, glad to know it's him changing colour not me going blind!

As for the teenager comment... It's wierd, I've had Angels and Rams (my 1st cichlids) for 3 weeks now and they're some of the most peaceful fish in my tank and are even being bullied a little by my Dwarf Gourami. I don't know whether it's the calm before the storm or whether i've been blessed with the most docile cichlids around?!?

Rams and angels are relativley peaceful as cichlids go, but with cichlids they all have their own individual personality and fish or any species can vary drastically from one idividual to another so you may just have v peaceful ones, if you've only had them a couple of week's there's a good chance they're juvi's though, even big mean cichlids are pretty calm as juvi's ;)

Most reactions

Back