Angelfish dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dany83

Reaction score
For the past couple of weeks, i have had a fish die every week or so . first it was three neons, then a glassfish, then a bgk, and now an angelfish. i did a 40% change about 5 days ago when the bgk died.

but now an angelfish died. it was gaspin for air on top, and sometimes it was sitting on the bottom of the tank looking up and struggling. here are some things which might help find out wats wrong. My power filter set on low level, and i have replaced evaporated water a couple of times. but i doubt its any of those. If water changes are not the problem, then wat could it be?

You make no mention of having tested your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. The first two are crucial and the last is certainly important. Any one of them could have killed your fish in suficiant quantity. The first two are lethal at low amounts, nitrate at much higer amounts for most fish. We also need to know the size of the tank. You also make no mention of whether or not there were any other symptoms noticed, either on the angel or any other fish you had. Personally it sounds like poisoning (from ammonia or nitrates) or maybe a lack of oxygen in the water, thus suffocating the fish. It could also have been chlorine or chloramines in your top-off water that killed your fish, though this is unlikely unless the tank is really very small. Even untreated tap water in a largte tank will not kill your fish. Do you do actual water changes or do you count top-offs as a water change? They are not and thus high nitrates could have dne your fish in.

Basically, until we have more information, it could be just about anything, though I made mention of my suspicians.

\Dan

i tested my water at the lfs recently and as usual he says its fine. my test kit is not good at all, so i test it there. i do water changes, not top offs. my tank is 33 gallon. the fish show no symptons except the ones i mentioned. and it all happens in a matter of hours. i dechlorinate the tap water before putting it. its just strange how most fish seem healthy but one suddenly dies. do u think i should get a test kit and which one?

a month and few days...i waited a week before i put 4 fish...then i started getting more by time..

i took the advice of the lfs and i followed their steps. they told me it wasnt necessary to wait weeks and weeks. but most of the fish lasted for the month (only few died)..anyways wat is the solution if u say it wasnt cycled, wat can i do now?

Hi dany83,

From what I have read it definately sounds as if your fish died while you are cycling a tank from either an ammonia spike or NitrIte spike. Perhaps I can suggest the following to help you for the near future. -_-

1. Do not trust your lfs - always get a second opinion, some lfs's do not give good advice. :grr:

2. Buy yourself a decent test kit - you need to have PH, Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte. May I suggest the API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc) Master Freshwater Test Kit. Not all lfs's stock this make but you can get it on the net for around £15 and it has all the tests in and they are really accurate. :D

3. Do not add anymore fish to your tank until you have tested the water and know what is happening to your tank. Ammonia and NitrIte need to be at zero before you can add fish and if still cycling only add 3 at a time. When you have tested your water, post the readings on TFF and someone will always offer you advice as to what to do, how much water to change etc. :D

4. Read up on cycling and understand how it works. For a head start here are some links that will help New tank syndrome and Record of cycling with fish :fun: :fun:

I know it can all seem very confusing at the beginning, but stick with it and it really is worth it in the end (especially for your :fish: :fish: :fish: )

:cool: Good Luck and keep us posted

OK i just tested the water. i bought a new master kit with all the tests. nitrite and ammonia are both at 0 mg/L. Nitrite might be at 0.1 or 0.2 but the color of the test tube was very close to 0. Ph level was at around 8.0. I dont know if that's the problem. I havent tested hardness yet. today a molly died and it had some white/silver spots next to its eyes. None of the other fish that died showed this symptom. before it died its body and its fins were kind of shrinking and it was graspin for air on top. I really need to solve this problem and it seems my test results are ok, arent they?

Hi dany83
OK i just tested the water. i bought a new master kit with all the tests. nitrite and ammonia are both at 0 mg/L. Nitrite might be at 0.1 or 0.2 but the color of the test tube was very close to 0. Ph level was at around 8.0

Sorry can you retype your readings you have said NitrIte and ammonia 0 then NitiIte might be..... NitrIte (I) NO2 is toxic and NitrAte (A) is not so bad. Be careful with the (I) and (A) when giving results or we won't know what you mean.

Thanks

OK thats great, could you also do the NitrAte test. For instance if Ammonia is 0 and NitrIte is 0 or possibly 0.1/2 and NitrAte was 0. It might indicate that you are at the beginning of a nitrIte spike, but if NitrAte is say 40ppm you may be nearly out of the woods and coming down from the NitrIte spike.

Sorry but it does make a difference. :D

While waiting for your reply on NitrAte readings this might help regarding your Molly dying.

Any problem with the water that the fish have lived through, in your case most probably the Ammonia and NitrIte spikes of cycling, will lower the fish’s immunity. In everyon’s tank, however good it is there are bacteria/parasites living that could make a fish ill. When water parameters are kept in tip top condition and the fish’s immunity is strong they can live alongside these bacteria/parasites but when their immunity is lowered by water conditions they will attack the fish and the fish will get ill.

A PH level of 8.0 is good for a molly so that can’t be it but your molly was showing other symptoms which could have just got in because her immunity was low.

If all the other fish are ok at present, I suggest you add a tonic, this is not a medication, just something that will boost the fish’s immunity. I use Interpet No 5 General Tonic, but I’m sure there are also others around.
:D :cool:

I dont have a nitrate tester. I just find this whole thing very confusing and i cant tell what is killing my fish. Its frustrating, especially when i seem to be doin everything i should. I will try to find this tonic for now. Thanks a lot

Sorry Dany I though you said you got a master kit with all the tests.

Don't worry you are doing really well and you care which is really important, I know it is confusing but you will get there in the end. :crazy:

If you do get chance to pick up a NitrAte test it would be really helpful, but for now check the ammonia and nitrIte again tomorrow and a tonic would be great, it certainly cant do any harm. :D

Hope I haven't made you feel bad, you are not doing anything wrong, just trying to help you to move forward and get your tank matured so you can relax a little. It does get easier, promise. :/

Hang in there. :hyper: :cool:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back