Angelfish breeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Is it normal for angelfish to move their fry from one place to another periodically? This is their third batch of eggs. The first they raised to the free swimming stage and with that one they moved them to a different leaf every day. The second batch they ate the day they laid them. This third batch just morphed to wigglers this morning and a couple hours later they moved them from the filter intake where they laid them to a nearby leaf. Then just now I watched them move the whole brood again. I read several articles on angelfish breeding when I decided to get a school of angels and never read that they would do this. Is it normal?

yes it's normal. Some prs do it and others don't but wild angelfish do it to help reduce predation of the young. If they stay in the same spot predators will often start to hang around the area and pick off the young, so moving them regularly makes it harder for other fishes to find the young and eat them.

Sometimes they find a secure area they can defend easily and they will stay there for a few days but normally they move the young around each day.

Most reactions

trending

Back